Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

J P Sauer MK V Barrel on a VZ24 Mauser Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM

J P Sauer MK V Barrel on a VZ24 Mauser Action

I'm researching putting a used Weatherby MK V J. P. Sauer Barrel on a VZ24 Mauser action so I can build a custom LR 257 weatherby Mag. I know barrels can be bushed and then recut to the new action just was curiuos if this is a cost effective method over buying a new fit for barrel???
Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: J P Sauer MK V Barrel on a VZ24 Mauser Action

I think starting with a new barrel opens up more possibilities to get what you want, and a greater chance to achieve the accuracy levels you have in mind. I have no idea what the cost difference might be. Too many great barrels being made out there right now for me to consider recycling.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 AM
SPONSOR

[QUOTE=BigRifle;772971 I know barrels can be bushed and then recut to the new action just was curiuos if this is a cost effective method over buying a new fit for barrel???[/QUOTE]
This is so far "out there" , I removed my post!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:09 AM

Thanks HARPERC, I agree however, my goal is to produce an accurate custom from all used parts for under $500 and document the trial. I get burnt up at how everything is so over priced. I have walked into some deals lately with the idea that I won't go over the book value of a gun and I have'nt! What a waste of time that was. The usual words of "hard to find, rare, minty or I'm just asking average internet price from GA" or what ever internet gun brokerage they find.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

I have converted a couple VZ24s to belted magnum, and one with a take off magnum barrel from a different action. I had to cut off the threads, cut new threads, cut shoulder, cut chamber, longer magazine box, open the bolt face, relief the extractor, and open the feed lips.

It is all straight forward, except the feed lips. Without R.A. Walsh's book, I would have never figured it out.

I got a 300WM Parker Hale barrel from Numrich for $35.
It was hand lapped inside, smooth as a Lilja!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM

I think im gonna do it unless i can find a Remington 700 magnum action for cheap. The complete except cleaning rod, ready to shoot VZ was 250 delivered. I can stript it and ebay the left overs to make back some $ and the barrel was 200-Brand new take off. Houge pillar bedded stock-about 150. Refinishing and smithing, just have to pay for materials.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Big Rifle, I don't think you can go that way. The Mauser tenon is 1.1" diameter x 12 tpi. Larger and coarser than the Wby 1.0625" x 16 tpi. You'd have to part off the Wby tenon and start over. Most Wby barrels don't have enough shank to allow that.

I haven't heard of anybody bushing a barrel tenon. I would not ever do that. Period!!!

I do understand about saving money by using available parts, but this combination sounds like poison to me.

Good luck, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time