Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

J-B weld for bedding compound?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: J-B weld for bedding compound?

Marine-Tex grey or Devcon steel would be my recommendation. Never had any issues with either. I can't speak to JB weld as I've never tried it.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

I tried out jb weld as a bedding compound after bedding a few scope bases.
It doesnt handle being laid thin very well. It tends to chip away a little easier than other bedding compounds ive played with.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Stick with the dedicated bedding compounds as epoxies vary greatly in character. The metal weld epoxies do not have the impact resistance or heat resistance of most bedding compounds and usually a short pot life so they don't give you much working time.

There is a difference in filler material as glass flock is very stable and temp resistant. There are really good epoxies but most are post cured in an oven @ 250 degrees F - not good for composite stocks.

KB
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

I doubt DuPont or Dow or any other chemical engineers believe rifle bedding compound would sell well enough to ever justify spending stock holders funds on such a small niche market. Other than Accraglass or someone's relabeled bedding kits nothing is really designed from a blank sheet as rifle bedding material. Devcon's were designed to fill defects in metal. I think marketing it as rifle bedding was an after thought. Same for Marine Tex. Properties wise I like the specs on the Devcon Titanium but it sucks to work with. Next one is Marine Tex. It does about everything right for rifle bedding and is my preference. I dislike the other Devcon products in comparison. They will certainly work but they are somewhat softer in compressive strength.

JB Weld is not even on my radar as something to be used for bedding. Same for the 5 minute epoxies. I rate them right in there with the hot glue gun which BTW Winchester uses on factory rifles.

I once saw a rifle full length bedded in Blue RTV and it was a pretty good shooter.

Spec wise, I think an epoxy based machine base grout would be ideal for rifle bedding. Someday if I ever had time to experiment I want to see how it works.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

System 3 has a family of epoxies aimed at the composite industry. Their T-88 is a rubberized low temp curing structural adhesive that is very impact resistant and has excellent physicals after cure. It has a long pot life and can be mixed with glass flock. It will bond anything to anything. They have Met-Weld which I believe is an aluminum filled metal bonding epoxy that would work. Hysol sells a range of epoxies that cover the gamete and are in dispenser tubes that mix it correctly coming out of the tip. Their Hysol E-120 has a pot life of two hours but requires a 150 degree F cure and develops full strength after a post cure of 8hrs @250 F. It replaces welding on aluminum aircraft structures. After the post cure it is stable past 350 degrees F.

The Chemical Companies need not develop any new products. We just need to figure out which one works best.

KB

Last edited by Kennibear; 04-11-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
System 3 has a family of epoxies aimed at the composite industry. Their T-88 is a rubberized low temp curing structural adhesive that is very impact resistant and has excellent physicals after cure. It has a long pot life and can be mixed with glass flock. It will bond anything to anything. They have Met-Weld which I believe is an aluminum filled metal bonding epoxy that would work. Hysol sells a range of epoxies that cover the gamete and are in dispenser tubes that mix it correctly coming out of the tip. Their Hysol E-120 has a pot life of two hours but requires a 150 degree F cure and develops full strength after a post cure of 8hrs @250 F. It replaces welding on aluminum aircraft structures. After the post cure it is stable past 350 degrees F.

The Chemical Companies need not develop any new products. We just need to figure out which one works best.

KB
+1
That is the reason that I always recommend compounds designed for bedding. They are all based
on some form of epoxy with different strengths, fillers and pot life.

The bedding compounds that I like have good strength and toughness and also a pot life of at least
1 hour + @ 70o and do not heat up over 150o (This minimizes shrinking after the compounds
cure and the metal cools .

If the bedding compound is to hard it will chip and ruin the bedding, some compounds are to soft
and never hold the action firmly.

A poor choice can lead to a poor bedding job so chose wisely and it will last and perform well
for many years.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM

Well I just yesterday I finished pillar and glass bedding my Rem 700 in 243. win. using the Acraglass Gel. Turned out awesome. Sure is great stuff!! Compared to the J-B its a lot nicer to work with. I stays where u put it. Now hopefully tomorrow I can go out and shoot it