Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

installing a rail?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: installing a rail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
You do use stud as one end,then I match threads with a allen cap for other.On my SRS rail it has sling hole built in,so I attach w/2 allen for clean look.
I picked up some button head allen screws and a 10-32 tap set. assuming my rail comes this week, I'll be in a good position to get things going.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Gold Member

out of curiosity, I tried one of the 10-32 screws I got in the tapped hole for the swivel stud. looks like that was tapped 10-32 also.

Now thinking, and this will wait until I have the rail and bi-pod, that I may mount the rail using that hole, and the new one I drill, but replace the swivel stud with one of the button head screws, and buy a picatinny swivel mount, so I can be sire that my Bi-pod is mounted ahead of the sling. Thoughts?

Also, I'm looking for something to do some practice drilling/tapping on before going after the rifle.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Type of sling and carry determine stud mount.I use a safari sling.My SRS rail has a sling hole and it works better forward for me,the other way use to catch under scope.Use the right size drill for tap,which is slightly smaller.Then use a drop of oil to make cutting smoother,if to hard, reverse and clockwise again.Do not force,easy to break small taps.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Type of sling and carry determine stud mount.I use a safari sling.My SRS rail has a sling hole and it works better forward for me,the other way use to catch under scope.Use the right size drill for tap,which is slightly smaller.Then use a drop of oil to make cutting smoother,if to hard, reverse and clockwise again.Do not force,easy to break small taps.
Thanks for the advice. The drill and tap came together, so "in theory" it should be right

I don't use a sling most of the time, so I can take some time looking. A safari sling looks good.

I'll post pics when I get the rail and get the project going
Old 02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Gold Member

Rail arrives today. Going to get things set up so I can do my drilling, tapping, installing this week
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

I am waiting for a rail,srs,but I think it might be on back order.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

got home...got the second hole aligned, drilled and tapped...the screw threaded perfectly...put the rail on...and realized I got 2 10-32 1/2in screws, and I needed the second one to be a 3/4in because the glass is thicker at the other end, and I need a longer screw to reach the bedding block...looks like I'll be heading to the hardware store later this week....at least I didn't mess up the drilling and tapping