Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

installing a rail?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

installing a rail?

So, I am looking at etting an Atlas Bi-pod. To do that I need to install a rail, I was looking at the Accu-Shot 3.35" 1913 Rail (BT15) I was planning on using my sling stud for one fastener. Here's my problem, I have a Stockade stock with the Aluminum bedding block. Am I asking for trouble trying to install this myself? I'm pretty confident with my tools, but this is a first for me.

Any thoughts/Advice are very welcome
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: installing a rail?

If you are in the alum. I would guess you drill and tap.I have the Seekins SRS rails on 2 rifles,they have a sling hole and I used allen cap screw.Had to add one on a Lonewolf.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

thanks for the advice. I Emailed Stockade to see if the bedding block actually does go all the way. will have to see if they get back to me
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Pull stock and look at area.My Lone wolf was a kevlar glass, so I used a nice bronze nut that was oversized and epoxied in,put wax on screw for removal
Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Pull stock and look at area.My Lone wolf was a kevlar glass, so I used a nice bronze nut that was oversized and epoxied in,put wax on screw for removal
did that last night...the glass wrap completely covers the stock, so the block is covered...unfortunately for me
Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

removed the sling stud, and the block goes at least that far, which is like 2 inches from the end of the stock. Looks like I'll be learning how to drill and tap into Aluminum, then install with some 832 or 1032 screws.

This is the rail I'm planning on using. Will order it tonight so I can get it and start some planning as far as how I'm going to situate it. It says I can use the sling stud for one fastener, dependig on how that looks, that could save be drilling 2 holes. Won't be getting the bipod for a while, but this will give me something to do
Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

You do use stud as one end,then I match threads with a allen cap for other.On my SRS rail it has sling hole built in,so I attach w/2 allen for clean look.