Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Info on reamers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Info on reamers

So I know you can have custom reamers made for specs you specify. But how is throat adjusted? Is the throat length built into the reamer? Or is it an adjustable thing?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Info on reamers

To adjust the throat length you need a throating reamer and you can only go longer than the throat that the reamer comes with. Typically when you order a custom reamer you specify what bullet your shooting and it will be throated for it or you send in a dummy round how you want it.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Ahh ok so if I were to tell a high end gunsmith i wanted my 6mm xc chambered for vld's most likely they wouldnt have to make a special order?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Gold Member

Most likely a 6XC reamer would be set up for VLD's since long range competition is what it was designed for. If not then they could buy a throating reamer and set the throat for VLD's since they are the longest bullets used in 6mm typically. If you want a different neck dimension then you'd have to order a new reamer or buy a necking reamer.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

It's always OK to call the smith and make sure your both talking about the EXACT same specs. It will be very frustrating for both of you if the barrel has to be set back or settle for something you don't want. He will probably have a print available that can be emailed for faxed.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Thanks a ton to both of you for the info!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanm70 View Post
Thanks a ton to both of you for the info!
What I do is send some dummy rd for throating so there is no mistakes.