Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Improvements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 10:16 PM

Improvements

I have a Remington 700 pss and was wondering if there was any thing that i could do to make it a real tack driver. It has it's standard stock, it has a Burris 6.5-20 fullfield scope on it. Looking forward to any suggestions that y'all may have.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Improvements

You can take it as far as you want, you can send it to some gunsmiths that will do any or all of these things:

tune the trigger / replace trigger
bed the stock
cut a new crown
new / better optics,
take a turn off the barrel, re-chamber, new recoil lug,
install new barrel,
true the action,

Are you capable of shooting great groups? Maybe more practice is needed to get to the gun's potential. I have a couple guns that shoot better than I can.

For my 700 PSS guns, I did a bedding job and while it did not shrink the individual group sizes, it did make it more consistent. I also went to better mounts and optics, which did not hurt.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Practice is a little of it, because I have shoot it in about two years. Before I left home I was trying to make it a long range compatition gun/ coyote gun. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy18 View Post
I have a Remington 700 pss and was wondering if there was any thing that i could do to make it a real tack driver. It has it's standard stock, it has a Burris 6.5-20 fullfield scope on it. Looking forward to any suggestions that y'all may have.

Pillar Bedding is the first thing to try and a fresh crown will generally help the accuracy
of any rifle.

A full blown accurizing (Blue Printing) is next and more expensive.

A custom barrel if a major contributor to accuracy but it needs the other things I mentioned
to reach its full potential.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Why would you pillar bed a stock with aluminum bedding block? The block serves as the pillars. A proper stress free bedding job will act the same as a pillar job on a non aluminum block stock, right?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Use this as a model... (includes name and contact info for gunsmith)

Nephew's Transformed Rifle!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntbambi View Post
Why would you pillar bed a stock with aluminum bedding block? The block serves as the pillars. A proper stress free bedding job will act the same as a pillar job on a non aluminum block stock, right?
Not exactly. The aluminum bedding block can stress the action even when skim bedded. I use a small stack of shim washers set in the epoxy to create a short pillar to assure the action doesn't touch anywhere but right around the two action screws when I skim bed rifles with an aluminum bedding block. That's the only way I know to assure a stress free bedding job with a bedding block.

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)