Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Identifying marks on Lilja rifle barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Identifying marks on Lilja rifle barrels

Can someone tell me if Lilja rifle barrels have any identification marks or serial numbers on them?

How can you tell the difference between a authentic Lilja barrel and a No-Name barrel?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Gold Member

Re: Identifying marks on Lilja rifle barrels

As with most aftermarket barrels, all of the identifying information is stamped on the breech end. When the barrel is cutoff, the info goes with it. I make it a practice to mark the barrel, under the forearm, at the same time that I mark the caliber, neck dia. etc. on the side of the barrel.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Eddie,
What sort of mark are we talking about.

I found a serial number under the barrel. Are you saying that this would not be the original mark? And that the original mark would have been removed in the chambering process?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Silver Member

Lilja, Hart, Stainless Shilen, Lothar Walther that Brownells sells, Krieger, and Parker Hale Midland are premium barrels that have been lapped at the factory.

I can tell they were lapped with a 20" Nite Ize Fiber Optic Adapter/AA Mini Mag-LiteŽ Combo flashlight accessory and a magnifying glass.

Nite Ize 20" Fiber Optic Adapter for Mini Maglite AAA FPO-07-AAA20
~$8

Amazon.com: MAGLITE M3A016 AAA Mini Flashlight, Black: Home Improvement
~$10

If you choose, you can upgrade the flashlight from bulb to LED [light emitting diode]
MicroStar1-Mini-Maglite-AAA-AA-flashlight-LED-upgrade
~$11

Factory Remington, Winchester, Savage, Browning, and Ruger barrels look different. They are scratched.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Can someone tell me if Lilja rifle barrels have any identification marks or serial numbers on them?

How can you tell the difference between a authentic Lilja barrel and a No-Name barrel?

Thanks

All Custom barrels are marked on the breach end and or the muzzle end because of contour
or tapering and removed when the barrel is chambered and crowned.

The only marks that are on the outside of a custom built rifle are the proof marks or the smith's
identification/serial number for his benefit.

As stated there are a lot of hand lapped Custom barrels but trying to prove which is which
is very diffacult if not impossible unless you know the smith that built the rifle.

J E CUSTOM