Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Ideas for adding weight to a HS stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ideas for adding weight to a HS stock?

prolyl about 2.5 inches tall and near an inch wide. Pretty deep....
Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
Thanks for the ideas. Do the Edwards reducers really work? How much do they offset felt recoil.

I am shooting a 300 RUM and the rifle combo weighs about 16lbs. I am not flinchy to recoil but shooting 190's at mid 3400's, it kicks pretty hard and the balance is off because the 28 inch heavy varmint krieger tube makes it want to tip of the front rest. All reason why I wanted to add some wieght to the rear.
I have never used a reducer, but if I had a more powerful dedicated bench shooter I would definitely consider putting in at least one and maybe two and exchanging the factory pad for a limbsaver in the process. It would make shooting a whole lot more enjoyable.

There are few different makes, so if you're considering one, check around and get some feedback from guys that use them.

-MR
Old 07-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Did you ever think of useing mono silicone caulking? I didn't do it to a HS stock but I have done it on several factory hollow stocks, it stays mushy and eats some recoil and vibration as well. It also deadens the sound of a hollow stock very well. I filled the cavity on the back of the stock on 3 of my rifles, that also had heavier barrels installed and had the same ballance problem. If thats not enough weight you could drop in some small lead weights till you get it right. No problem sith the mono eating the synthetic stock, just fill her up and put the recoil pad back on.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

KDB, If there is space behind the pad,add weight till your satisfied(leadshot,sinkers). Take them out and vac-pak in plastic.Put back in stock and seal them into the stock void with silcone calk.Allow to dry and replace pad. If you use an epoxy it will be hell to remove. Dskiper
Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 AM

I used lead shot mixed with silocone gasket material. Hardens and keeps the lead in place, alos easier than solid to remove if you want.

Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 09:06 AM

Did this with my stock. Cut off the recoil pad with a band saw- glue would not let go when frozen. Added # shot until I got the right weight. Just cover with duct tape as you adjust the weight. When I got to where I wanted it, I mixed the shot into spray foam and let it expand to fill the hole. Trimmed the foam then Accra-glassed the recoil pad back on.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinch View Post
First, I have NOT tried this yet, but I've heard you can mix lead shot in epoxy and put it in the stock under the pad. Sounds simple enough. I don't know if there are any tricks to this.
epoxy would be permanent..
or atleast very hard to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmthtr View Post
I used lead shot mixed with silocone gasket material. Hardens and keeps the lead in place, alos easier than solid to remove if you want.

Mike
just recently did the same. used clear silicone, and some #9 birdshot. worked very good. was able to add 1 -1.5# to my cheap synthetic stock...