Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Ideal Barrel for the .308..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

Ideal Barrel for the .308..?

I have a .308 that was in a house fire, I got this rifle back in July and my brother wonts to build a Tactical/Target/Bean Field Rifle. I am ordering the Barrel for him, some say get the 1:10 1:10.5? (it will be a heavy standerd for a Remington).
if he shoots a 168gr Bullet out to 400 regularly/ what would you recomend?

He has bought the HS Precision Varment/tactical Stock.
a Burris scope will be bought this week, I dont know what power yet.
the bolt handle is being changed, thats been droped off at the Gun Smith's.
I lowed the weight and creap of the trigger to 2lbs. just about no creap.
I had him get a Picatinny rail.
I am thinking of having the Bolts for the rail changed.

Any advise you can give, I will copy on friday and give to him.
Thank You..
Old 10-14-2010, 09:19 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Ideal Barrel for the .308..?

Firearms that have been in a fire are a NO-NO. Safety issues concerning the integrity of the steel. I just can not see putting a 50,000psi 'bomb' that close to my face, and setting it off. All one needs to do is look at the history of the Springfield 1903. Poor heat treatment in early production, some worked fine for quit awhile but then had problems and were with drawn from service as 'un-safe'. A house fire is uncontroled 'heat treatment'.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Firearms that have been in a fire are a NO-NO. Safety issues concerning the integrity of the steel. I just can not see putting a 50,000psi 'bomb' that close to my face, and setting it off. All one needs to do is look at the history of the Springfield 1903. Poor heat treatment in early production, some worked fine for quit awhile but then had problems and were with drawn from service as 'un-safe'. A house fire is uncontroled 'heat treatment'.
amen in spades! If the fire was very hot you probably drew back the heat treat to under 20 points on the C scale. Just as importantly the bolt is probably even worse yet; let alone the hardened seating surface. I'd send the gun back to the factory, and have them examine it to see if it's safe. Add to this the fact that the stock may have been destroyed in the fire meaning that the action had nothing to keep it from warping as it cooled down. probably a paper weight right now
gary
Old 10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

Right on guys! The stock was burned on the end and it was in a case the burn melted the rubber butt plate the stock got a touch of melt actualy the rest of the rifle was and is! in real good condition, it just needs a new stock.
Even the guys we shoot with just laughed at the good fortune.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
Right on guys! The stock was burned on the end and it was in a case the burn melted the rubber butt plate the stock got a touch of melt actualy the rest of the rifle was and is! in real good condition, it just needs a new stock.
Even the guys we shoot with just laughed at the good fortune.
Well, it is your decision and it sounds like you will be moving forward with a build. I hope you are correct that no metallurgic changes occurred.

I recommend an 11 twist or 11.25 twist barrel. This is the #1 choice twist in 30 caliber competition. My next 30 cal barrel will be 11 twist. I have an Obermeyer D-3 contour on my 308 and love it.

There are multiple repeated rumors on many forums that Rock barrels are among the very best ever in 30 caliber. I read and see it time and time again. So, that is where I'll be getting my next 2 30 cals in 11 twist (if offered), in 5R rifling.

We'll see what happens.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

Why are you choosing to ignore the advice of numerous very knowledgable people? While it is probably ok, you may be risking disfiguring someone down the line if the steel gives. Even if it's a 1% chance, that isn't smart in the slightest. Send it to the manufactured and get their ok. No build is that important
Old 10-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

It was in a hard plastic case and it was lined with foam rubber along with paper targets and it never melted and the targets never got as much as a print of soot.
Evey one said it should be OK, even my older brother..there was no sign of any heat on the action, or burn marks. It was just the end rubber was burned about 20o/o and the stock was melted to a dent the size of a quarter. it lookes like you pushed your thumb down hard on the stock and it stayed it sank in about 3/8ths.
as I said the Honey comb foam rubber never melted in the case. or showed any signes of heat damage.