Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

HS precisond stock recoil pad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

HS precisond stock recoil pad

Are the recoil pads on HS stocks glued on? I had to cut the rubber section off of the stock I just got and can't find any screws....I want the thing off to try my hand at an adujstable pad but am not srue on how to get it off. I don't have a nice 10" sanding disc.....are there any suggestions? Or should I just take it to a smith.

Joe Oakes
Old 07-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Yes it's glued ,I saw a sendero that the guy had to cut the pad off of.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

I got my Sendero pad off using the following:

1) Using a heavy razor blade utility knife, cut all the way around at the joint between the stock and the plastic of the pad.

2) Grab the plastic of the butt pad with a good pair of pliars ( I used Craftsman RoboGrips) and wiggle back and forth until the glue breaks. Keep working around the butt pad doing this until it pops off.

The people at Sims recommended to my Dad to cut the rubber off then use their slip on style recoil pad over the plastic piece instead of removing it. He is very happy with this method also.

Good Luck!

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

I have removed HS recoil pads to install other pads. it is a fairly easy process requiring very little labor. This is the method I use and it works very well for me.

First make sure there are no screws in the recoil pad as I believe HS has both screwed and glued them on. If there are screws, remove them. Next put the stock in the freezer for 3 hours. After 3hr. period remove stock from freezer carefully place in a 6" vise with the stock protruding upward, vertically. Make sure the vise is only contacting the recoil pad as you do not want to mar or scuff the stock. Pull sideways on the stock until the stock separates from the recoil pad. A slight tap with the palm of the hand may help.

Hope this helps.

FWIW,
308nate
Old 10-28-2007, 02:23 PM

if the pads are glued on. then how do you put the new one one? what's under the plastic part of the pad? solid butstock? or a big hole ? anything to tap into to screw the new on one? or does the new one have to be glued on?

I'd like to put a better one onto my PSS.

thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

i have done the same thing that 308nate it works great. once you have the old one removed there is an area that you can install the new screws in. i also glued my new one on then screwed it together. this is an easy fix..
Old 10-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Bronze Member

good post!!! i have some rattling in my HS butt stock. time to take the pad off and see what the noise maker is!!