Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

HS Precision Stock Install ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Bronze Member

HS Precision Stock Install ???

Just wondering if any of you have ever installed one of these before. This will be going on a Remington 700 300 RUM tomorrow. The instructions say 65 lbs. on each screw. I have read elsewhere that you need 45-50 lbs. I am the type of guy that will put the screws in and say good enough. Will my way work or do I need to get this exactly perfect! Also, if you have experience with this stock, will the barrel be free floated or will I have to tackle that later? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: HS Precision Stock Install ???

When I bought my H.S. Precision tactical stock for my .308 VSF last year I talked to the guys at H.S. and asked them about installation and what I needed to do for best accuracy. Ended up getting a torque wrench in inch lbs from Sears and torquing it exactly to their spec's. Shoots like a dream. The good part about buying the torque wrench is I now use it to torque all my scope screws and the screws on my other guns that have the H.S. stocks. Have 3 of them now As long as you follow the directions there just is not a problem. Only problem I did have was getting the magazine box just right. That took a few times of in and out to get it seated just right for some reason. Did a small bit of relieving and it slipped right in just perfectly.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

This is what you need:
Wheeler Engineering FAT (Firearm Accurizing Torque) Torque Wrench Screwdriver - MidwayUSA

Torque the action screws to 65 in/pounds and you are good to go.

Just my opinion but I have had good luck with the H-S Precision stocks and I have three of them. Keep in mind, in/pounds is a hell of a lot different from pounds (ft/pounds).
Old 02-27-2010, 10:49 AM

The HS Precision stock should have a large enough channel to result in a free-floated barrel. Once you put it on, look at how close it is. If it is close, grab a $1 bill (or any other denomination) and wrap it under the barrel. Slide it between the stock and barrel all the way to the receiver. A gentle up/down seesaw motion helps to keep the bill from tearing if it sticks. If the bill slides easily all the way to the receiver, you're free-floated. If not, put a small piece of tape on the stock where it hangs up, take it a part, and see why. We do this in the field to make sure debris isn't in there.

No insult intended here as I echo the other posters. Remember to get an INCH POUND torque wrench. Foot pounds are for lug nuts and engine heads.

When you put the screws in, alternate back and forth until each gets snug. I usually do this with the screw bit or allen wrench in hand. Then alternate back and forth a bit at a time with the torque wrench until each reaches the correct torque. If you torque one completely and then the other, one will be way too high or the stock could be out of alignment just a bit. Torque the screws for consistency......it will make all the difference in the world.