Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

HS Pre Stock Alter??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

HS Pre Stock Alter??

I need to take an inch or more off my HS Precision stocked Sendero. The gun shoots extremely well for a friend of mine who happens to have a longer wingspan than me. I'm not sure what I'll find when I cut the end of the stock off; but I suspect I'll find a void. My plan is to carefully fit a piece of wood into the void to act as a solid foundation for mounting a new recoil pad. Prior to mounting the pad, I would drill a hole through the center of the "block" and shoot in some expandable foam, of the hardware store variety, to fill the void. Finally, I would fit and mount a new recoil pad in the same way I would to a wood stock.

Any pitfalls to this idea? Any suggestions on how to do it better?

I'm an HS precision stock fan. Ultimately I think I will add and take from this stock until it fits me perfectly; or as well as possible. It may be ugly when I'm done but with various spray finishes available, most folks won't notice the alterations. In the end I'll actually have a better idea of dimensions in case I move on to a better stock.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Matt
Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 AM
SPONSOR

Re: HS Pre Stock Alter??

Hey Matt, that recoil pad is epoxied on. If there's room in the deep freeze you might put it in there for a couple of hours and then try to knock it off. You could, also, cut it off where the pad meets the stock with a band saw or carefully by hand. Then try a 1/2" pad instead of the factory original which is 1" thick. 1/2" can make alot of difference. The base will be solid there where you won't have to fill it. Screw it on for a temp attachment to see how it fits you. Then adjust as necessary from there. Once you cut an inch off there's no putting it back on!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Hey Matt, that recoil pad is epoxied on. If there's room in the deep freeze you might put it in there for a couple of hours and then try to knock it off. You could, also, cut it off where the pad meets the stock with a band saw or carefully by hand. Then try a 1/2" pad instead of the factory original which is 1" thick. 1/2" can make alot of difference. The base will be solid there where you won't have to fill it. Screw it on for a temp attachment to see how it fits you. Then adjust as necessary from there. Once you cut an inch off there's no putting it back on!
+1

I would try this first, It could save a lot of work.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Ted and JE,

I appreciate your comments. What about the inside of the stock...hollow?

Matt
Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnts4fun View Post
Thanks Ted and JE,

I appreciate your comments. What about the inside of the stock...hollow?

Matt
Most are, but Just knock on it with your knuckles and you can tell (It will sound hollow) if it is.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM
SPONSOR

I've never been further back than about a 1/2" from the std. 13 1/2" L.O.P. and they are solid enough to drive a screw. I've ordered 2 or 3 with shorter than std. and they were solid there , too. I don't trust the wood screws that come with alot of pads so I make sure both the back of the pad & stock are as true and sq. as possible. I next locate the screw holes and use those screws to mark the spot. I drill holes big enough to accept those "green anchors w/grooves that run length wise that are 1/2" to 3/4" long" (I've used these in concrete and other solid building materials, very common, made of plastic) and MarineTex them in. Fit the pad, screw it on using a small amount of MarineTex (not much, you don't want to try to clean any off the finish) just for insurance. They stay put.

Last edited by shortgrass; 10-28-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Silver Member

Thank you both for sharing your experiences.

Matt