Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Howa Trigger adjustment How to.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Howa Trigger adjustment How to.

Posting to find again. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Bronze Member

I tried to do this on my Vanguard 22-250. I removed 0.010 inches of material and it rendered my safety inoperable. The tolerances are very close and as the OP mentioned, make sure to be patient and only remove a very small amount of material at a time! I am guessing a few thousandths of an inch is all that is required.
Be Advised.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 AM

hi people,
refering to make the tigger 'ligther' that is to lessen the wheigt of it, I tried instead of remouving material from the tigger, replacing the spring of it, by a lower pressure one,- taken fron an automatic pen- their measures are 4mm diam., by 8mm long and it fixes ok,
I've tried it with empy cases and it works smoothly and very very light, too much perhaps, This afternoon I'll try it at the range, and make some comments, tomorrow
laters,
Old 12-24-2012, 01:50 AM

Hi Nathan

I live in Northern NSW, Australia. Thanks for the info on the Howa trigger adjustment. I have been shooting for 50 odd years, and because of raising a family etc, (read perpetually broke) I have only recently acquired what I call a modern rifle, which is a 0.204 Howa 1500, with a Hogue moulded stock. I have had many 22';s. shotguns and 303's. I have done everything to the rifles, like adjusting triggers changing parts etc.
The new Howa has a smooth but heavy trigger, and thanks to your tutorial, I will address the problem. I would like your opinion on 2 questions.
Is it worth bedding the action into a Houge Stock?
And how does one polish the bore? Mine is the same as in your photo, imported by dealers in Reno. I have not shot the rifle yet. I have been waiting half a year for a Meopta scope. Any comments re those 2 questions would be appreciated Thanks. Peter, Nimbin NSW.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:03 AM

hello guys,
after shooting a couple of hundreds rounds trying the trigger pressure with the replaced spring from a pen, I find it very comfortable, about a pound of wheigt, and the safe working ok, think it's good for the range not very safe for hunting
growler, there are many threads about the barrel polishing but it's a matter of patience, clean the bore make the first shot, clean again the first 10 and after 3 groups rounds the next 50, you have a good task to do.
merry christmas!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler69 View Post
Is it worth bedding the action into a Houge Stock?

Thanks. Peter, Nimbin NSW.
I bedded just the recoil lug of my Weatherby Vanguard in a Hogue youth sized stock for my daughters. It was not difficult using Devcon, but note that you can't bed to the rubberized coating as nothing will stick. Some bedding material around the recoil lug is really all you will need. The rifle shoots very well at this time so I see no need to do more.

And, with a Howa/Vanguard action don't forget that you do NOT put tape on the bottom of the recoil lug.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Hi Growler, sorry for the late reply, been having a Christmas break.

Yes, the Hogue stocks need bedding. Also, you will find that only one bolt locking lug will be touching and due to the play in the action, the rearward bolt thrust will be suffering a degree of yaw. I have highlighted all of these details in my book, the Practical Guide to Long Range Hunting Rifles.

The barrels on the post 2011 Japanese earthquake rifles are very hit and miss. Some are so badly marred internally that they cannot be saved. By the time the circumferential burrs are smoothed, the bores are oversize. I have detailed polishing methods in the barrel break in article on the Terminal Ballistics Research website. There are also bedding instructions relative to Hogue stock on the site with regard to our MatchGrade bedding compound.

If/when you need further help, please email or call by phone. We can work through the job one step at a time.