Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How would you rate this chamber job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: How would you rate this chamber job?

As a reply to 80 rounds being too much or not. There are several things involved. As an example: 200 rounds ago I cut my wifes new chamber so that a Sierra MK 190 made contact with the lands on a push feed only 300 WM at a c.o.a.l of 3.5 inches and as of this weekend it makes contact at almost 3.7 inches (.2 inches of errosion in 200 rounds). The second consideration would be the ream diameters and lengths, the origional chamber ream and the second ream, as well as the barrels actual land diameter which can vary as much as .0015 between barrels. It is a misconception that barrels and reams are made to an exact size, they are made to within specifications and then only to the manufacturers experience and criteria. In my opinion it is 100% necessary to cut the chamber end down far enough to get to as clean and virgin of metal as reguired to get past the majority of land ( throat errosion) as practical and more than necessary to get past the work hardened and impregnated metal. Your photos of your brass looked visually horrible but your chamber isn't so bad that it can't be polished out to a better degree of acceptability or once again rechambered if there is enough barrel left. It hurts but barrels are the disposable part of the rifle and some of us replace barrels as often as our pocket book will allow.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
As a reply to 80 rounds being too much or not. There are several things involved. As an example: 200 rounds ago I cut my wifes new chamber so that a Sierra MK 190 made contact with the lands on a push feed only 300 WM at a c.o.a.l of 3.5 inches and as of this weekend it makes contact at almost 3.7 inches (.2 inches of errosion in 200 rounds). The second consideration would be the ream diameters and lengths, the origional chamber ream and the second ream, as well as the barrels actual land diameter which can vary as much as .0015 between barrels. It is a misconception that barrels and reams are made to an exact size, they are made to within specifications and then only to the manufacturers experience and criteria. In my opinion it is 100% necessary to cut the chamber end down far enough to get to as clean and virgin of metal as reguired to get past the majority of land ( throat errosion) as practical and more than necessary to get past the work hardened and impregnated metal. Your photos of your brass looked visually horrible but your chamber isn't so bad that it can't be polished out to a better degree of acceptability or once again rechambered if there is enough barrel left. It hurts but barrels are the disposable part of the rifle and some of us replace barrels as often as our pocket book will allow.
Ken -- Do not think polishing will clean up that mess the OP has..
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
why would you say that? if I loose it brotherhood of the nut will not understand :-D
After the experience you've had, why would you care what the 'brotherhood' thinks?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

I was joking about brotherhood , but seriously what are advantages of loosing that nut?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
after the experience you've had, why would you care what the 'brotherhood' thinks?
10-4!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Boss Hoss
I see what I'm missing now . By the way, Montour County Rifles in Danville PA is like 100 miles south from where I stay, maybe I should let them deal with this. Any thoughts on their work? Montour County Rifles
Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
I see what I'm missing now . By the way, Montour County Rifles in Danville PA is like 100 miles south from where I stay, maybe I should let them deal with this. Any thoughts on their work? Montour County Rifles
Kevin at Montour County Rifles does great work. He built two of my rifles...

My 300RUM by MCR

My 260 by MCR

Also, search the Gun Photo section for 'kevin cram' and you will find many more examples of his work.