Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How would you rate this chamber job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How would you rate this chamber job?

Sorry but you need to get this job performed by a good Smith. The pics you have posted look like a blacksmith did the work.

Sorry but that is the truth of the matter.. Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

Boss, do you think this was blacksmith who did this?

here what chamber looked like before this job:

and after:

Last edited by Jinx-); 07-24-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 AM
SPONSOR

Looks like it was cut with a "custom made rat tail file"! I'd have sent that back to Savage,,,, and quickly!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Is this a factory barrel that's been rechambered?
do you still think there is a chance Savage will deal with it?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Gold Member

I was standing behind his back while he was cutting it, maybe that contributed to what I have now... But here his steps, he insert a range rod in one end, and a indicator rod in the other end, and then dial in both ends to as little runout as he could get, then the long probe into the actual bore until that was running true. He dial in the outer to get close, and then to a tapered rod to get even closer, and then to the .0001 dial for the final tweaking. There was .004 how much the outer diameter of the barrel was off from the center of the bore, then he pushed every thing fore-ward and recut that chamber.

From what I understand he got at least 40 years of experience... I checked his 25 lb builds on bat actions, they looked great and he also does stocks and custom dies, so it didn't seem like he is newbie in this business...

Last edited by Jinx-); 07-25-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 AM
SPONSOR

Not after it's been altered! I'd have sent it back whether I could 'fix it myself' or not if I received it in that condition as "new". If you're concerned that the O.D. of the barrel is not concentric to the bore, many are not! What matters is the chamber to bore alinement. In the case of your Savage the outside not being concentric to the bore would mean the firing pin can't hit 'dead center', and be .004" from center. Prefect is nice, but thats as close as your goin' ta' get. The hole for the firing pin in the bolt face probably has more slack than that! There's probably that much slack in the factory tenon threads. With the further info you've provided, a .050" set back (that's 1 complete turn @ 20t.p.i.) and a good sharp reamer should have "fixed" your original problem (and a good polishing after the headspace was established which is, generally, part of any 'chambering' job). Custom barrels are something else. There, the threads are cut concentric to the bore.

Last edited by shortgrass; 07-25-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Gold Member

This one sent to me as the replacement, I waited 2 months to get this one, it was different caliber then the one I originally send, because they were unable to get 6.5mm barrel for me, I had to wait another 2 month, so I agreed on 6BR, but this one has different stock then the model number printed on the box... Stock is altered as well because of the "pillars" not contacting the action:

also it had no swivel studs to mount bipod... I supposed to have HS Precision stock instead...

Last edited by Jinx-); 07-25-2011 at 08:42 AM.