Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How would you rate this chamber job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How would you rate this chamber job?

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-09-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Gold Member

Is there any chance this barrel can be re-chambered say for 6.5 mm something if its done right?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Is there any chance this barrel can be re-chambered say for 6.5 mm something if its done right?
I beleive you already indicated the barrel is 6mm???

Quote:
yes its factory 6mm Norma BR, which was cut off-center with bad reamer marks on the body, it was very hard to cycle fired brass. I have different thread about it Hard to cycle bolt on Savage target action.
As such, you can send it back to your smith and have him clean it up a little.

Or, you can have it rechambered to a slightly larger 6mm cartridge such as .243 Winchester, or 6x47 Lapua. ...although, I haven't checked all of the dimensions to verify that those would be fine.

Or, you will need a new barrel if you want a 6.5mm anything.

If you decide to rebarrel it, let me know and I'd like to buy the barrel. (I can't risk much since it's probably only good for a "tomato stake" as one of the other posters said.) But, I bought a lathe not too long ago and I'd like to practice cutting threads and such on it.

-- richard
Old 08-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Gold Member

I'm going to kick that dead horse for the last time.... After I removed that barrel and I finished 12 pack, I finally nailed cause them rings-spirals on the neck... Here it is:

Also I think rings on the shoulders almost eliminated and chamber don't look that bad for the exception of the neck region, I think I polished all them out , by the way I have like 20 tomato plants in my back yard and I'm seriously running out of stakes ;-)

Boss, blacksmith you say ;-)

Last edited by Jinx-); 08-06-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Part of the problem is just the fact that you wanted a factory barrel set back.

Factory savage chambers that I have pulled barrels on, actually a couple 6 br barrels were extremlly out of center with very unconcentric throats.

Trying to rechamber them with the same cartrige will only work well if you cut off the entire existing chamber, or at least 75% of it.

The ring in the neck is simply the fact that your smiths reamer had a smaller neck dia. then the factory reamer.

The smiths major fault was taking the job in the first place, I would have explained the futility of trying to rechamber/set back a barrel one turn.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-09-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Blacksmiths make tomato stakes????????? I guess so......and this is a fine example of a well crafted stake. Lots of flaws for the tomato vine to get a hold of.

Sell this thing to the guy that offered to buy it, then get yourself another barrel on which to spend your money!

Quote:
I'm going to kick that dead horse for the last time.... After I removed that barrel and I finished 12 pack, I finally nailed cause them rings-spirals on the neck... Here it is:

Also I think rings on the shoulders almost eliminated and chamber don't look that bad for the exception of the neck region, I think I polished all them out , by the way I have like 20 tomato plants in my back yard and I'm seriously running out of stakes ;-)

Boss, blacksmith you say ;-)