Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How to make recoil lug recess deeper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: How to make recoil lug recess deeper?

By the way.... The only bedding/stock material I removed was from the front 6-8" of the barrel channel (muzzle end).
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 PM
SPONSOR

Sounds to me like you already have double PHDs!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

I'll take that as a compliment although I has me doubts...

I'm taking this rifle as my "big rifle" on a groundhog hunting trip in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping I get some good results in the morning when the sun peeks above the trees at my local range.

There's nothing like shooting a rifle to figure out if everything is set up right.

I've ordered some more Speer 110 gr TNT bullets for it because I shot up the last of the ones I had. They're devastating on varmints and before I started doubting my stock's bedding they shot better than anything else I had tried in it.

I had another 7-08 that liked those bullets too once and I actually bought them the first time by mistake. I'd rather be lucky than good....

I'll try to pick up some Playdoh on the way home but I'm betting my buddy that's going to the range gives me at ration of crap about using Playdoh on my rifles...

He's been insufferable since last week when his 270 was stacking them in the same hole.

Hopefully tomorrow this 7-08 shoots better. It seemed that it would do great and then get funky on me and then great again. The stock was "supposed to be right" according to the guy I got it from but I began to doubt that as the periodic wierdness sharted showing up.

Bob
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDHunter View Post
I'm not sure that it wasn't hitting before. No way to tell when there was "excess" material at the front of the stock and that might very well have been holding the barreled up higher or maybe I just didn't notice.

The "Playdoh" sounds like a good idea. I've been reading up on marking compound and that seems like more than I need.

By the way what does "center the barrel with tape" mean? I'm not familiar with what that is.

If I get a double PHD will my rifles shoot better?

Bob
Take a look here:

Stress-Free Pillar Bedding

Nice photo of bedding at the top of the page.
Near the bottom of the page he shows how tape is used to center the barrel when bedding the rifle.

Even if you don't pillar bed the rifle, the bedding job should look moderately similar.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDHunter View Post
I'm not sure that it wasn't hitting before. No way to tell when there was "excess" material at the front of the stock and that might very well have been holding the barreled up higher or maybe I just didn't notice.

Bob
That's where the marking compound or "inletting black/gold" is usefull. You're just working 'blind'. There's quit a difference between removing those "front pads", as you put it, and properly bedding metal to stock. Inletting 'gold' is yellow colored. It's "painted" on with a tinning brush or artists paint brush in the areas you think are touching. It leaves a nice mark, so you know where to remove material.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 AM
SPONSOR

oops! double post
Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
That's where the marking compound or "inletting black/gold" is usefull. You're just working 'blind'. There's quit a difference between removing those "front pads", as you put it, and properly bedding metal to stock. Inletting 'gold' is yellow colored. It's "painted" on with a tinning brush or artists paint brush in the areas you think are touching. It leaves a nice mark, so you know where to remove material.
OK... Shot it at the range this morning and although the groups have improved, they're still not to my satisfaction. I'll get some marking compound as soon as I can figure out where.

Can this stuff be left on in the bottom of my recoil lug recess? I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to remove it in this tough to get at spot.

Bob