Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How to identify mauser 98 action.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Bronze Member

How to identify mauser 98 action.

I am thinking about buying a mauser 98 action, but I do not know how to identify what type it is or where it is from. I plan to use this action to build a rifle. A close family friend who has built numerous custom rifles based off of the 98 mauser action will help me through the build, but before I purchase the action I would like to be able to identify it, just in case parts scarcity could be an issue before we start the build.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to identify mauser 98 action.

There's a lot of info here:
Mauser Central your Restoring and Sporterizing Resource

And, AGI has some pretty good DVDs about identifying and sporterizing Mausers.
AGI - American Gunsmithing Institute

Unfortunately, finding good millitary surplus candidates is becoming increasingly difficult.

You might be better of with a commercial variant such as the Remington 798.

Hope this helps.
Richard
Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Prairie Dog50, Some things to look for are cock-on-opening, action screw spacing, and whether or not it's thumb-notched and has a stripper clip guide on the front of the receiver bridge. If it does, it's a 99% probability that it's military. In my opinion, I would stay away from the WW I actions, and any of the German WW II actions dated 1944 or later.

Yugo 48's are good large ring 98 actions, but they're shorter than the std length large ring. The commercial FN actions and the commercial Zastava Yugoslav actions are good ones too. Most are standard length and the rest are magnum length. The Remington 798 is a Yugo action, and would be a good choice too, but I don't know if it's std length or 48 length.

The military actions will need quite a bit of work on them to make a scoped sporter rifle. The commercials don't need much at all.

Small rings are O.K. for lower pressure 7 x 57 size cartridges, 45,000 psi max. (also my opinion). I think the best of them are the Swedes, even the old '96's, but they are shorter than the std 98 and all of them I've seen are cock-on-closing.

I recommend that you check out the link rscott posted. I'm going to.

Mausers can be difficult to sort out. There are so many different versions, makers, etc. Be careful.

Good luck, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Bronze Member

Did a little research and found that the action is from the city of BRNO of Czechoslovakia, I also found that it was for a model vz 24 mauser rifle. It said this rifle is a shorter than normal rifle; the though process behind this design was that little would be lost balistically and it would allow for easier handling. The mauser
7mm and the 7x57 were both chambered for this rifle. With all that said will this action be compatible for most mauser 98 parts? For example the claw extractor does not have the piece that attaches it to the bolt body, so I will need to buy a new one, will any mauser 98 part fit on it?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

PD, I just now saw your post. It's late here and I going out of town for a few days. Will check out the VZ 24 action length and bolt diameter when I get back. I believe that any 98 extractor collar wil work, and I also think that they are standard length actions, but need to check to be sure. I know where there's a VZ 24 rifle that I can measure.

If you need to know quickly, P/M shortgrass and ask him. He'll know off the top of his head.

Later, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 AM
Gold Member

The VZ-24 is the Czech equivalent of the German 98K. It is of standard 98 action length and compatible with standard 98 parts. Handguards are different from the 98K, but that is about the only difference that I am aware of.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

The VZ24 is a great action for building a custom on the 98 Mauser platform - I have four of them myself (6.5-06AI, 338WM, 22-250Rem, and one bare action waiting on a 22-6mm barrel) I built the 22-250 myself, and just finished a 7X57 on a small-ring Kar98a action. Be careful - it gets addictive!

The VZ24 is a standard large-ring 98 action so you'll have no problems going forward with your project. Aftermarket stocks, triggers, safeties, and bottom metal are all readily available, as are prethreaded, short-chambered barrels.

As another poster mentioned, they'll require some work to turn into a sporter. The bolt handle will either need to be forged down or replaced (preferred) to clear the scope objective, and the action will need to be drilled and tapped. Be sure that the front ring is D&T'd in the proper location - Kimber ruined a lot of actions by drilling too far back...Many builders will also true the primary and secondary torque shoulders, lap the lugs in, and lap the bolt face (if needed).

For your first build, I'd recommend also getting Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on Mausers - it'll help identify some common issues/pitfalls and also does a great job of walking you through the steps involved in sporterizing one of these fine old actions.

Have fun with your build!

Brian