Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How I Barrel A Precision Custom Rifle - Long Rifles, LLC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

re: How I Barrel A Precision Custom Rifle - Long Rifles, LLC

Very good stuff Chad!!!!!!!! I'll read it a few times to get what I can learn out of it. I'm glad to see that the way I indicated in my bore for my first crowning attemp was similar to what your doing for the chamber, kinda inspires a little confidence in a newbie.
Thanks again Chad!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting. Very informative if anyone should see me attempting any of the tasks shown, they should break my arms.

Quick question: I noticed some impressive looking cutting tools. One looked either two sided or upside down?

My tool bits suck and I suck at sharpening and shaping them.

It seems that any job finishes better with a good sharp tool bit.

Any recommendations for for a nub like me?
Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Roy,

Sandvik and a Visa card ready to be thawed out is a great start.

Screw sharpening HSS. Insert carbide or death!

Good luck buddy.

C
Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

+1 sharping HSS. The perfromed geometry of a carbide insert is hard to beat. Proper relief and a nose radius means alot for finish.

The reason the tools may have looked upside down is becuase on most CNC turret lathes, the turret is on the far side. Tools on most manual machines are on the operator side.

Chad,

I would like to try doing one in my okuma. If you get a chance can you pm how to indicate muzzel end in a cnc

vince
Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Gold Member

Vince.

I don't. Seriously. What good does it do? Think about it. I do support it with a 5C collet in a little doo dad I made, but that's it. I don't indicate the opposite side of the barrel. I'd be bending the barrel if I did.

I'm more interested in keeping the bore tangent to the bearing surface of the bullet. You can't do that if you "muscle" the crown side to spindle center.

Sounds crazy I know. It was an experiment I did some time ago and after discussing it at length with a very bright/experienced mechanical engineer I (we) concluded its not hurting anything and may actually be HELPING.

Lets put it into perspective. lets say the OD of the barrel is out of concentricity with the bore by .005". A typical barrel blank is 28" long when it shows up in the mail. The angle of deflection (if my math is correct) is .0102 degrees (double that for the included angle over 360* of rotation). Given a choice I'll gladly give up that value over 28 inches if it means better surface finishes, thread fits, and chambers that come out with less than two tenths of runout.

Proof is in the pudding so high minded discussions don't mean much till lead starts hitting backstops. The most recent build I've completed is the little 22BR gun that I've splattered all over internet land. At 100 yards I was recording 5 shot groups at a half inch with relabled Eley Black box (Match EPS) Remington ammunition. The owner has a tunnel and he's getting .266" for an average at 50 yards. That's with one box of ammo randomly picked from his stash. He hasn't even begun lot testing yet. Take that along with the historical track record my rifles have and I feel pretty good about the direction I'm heading.

The famous Mr. Gordy Gritters uses a procedure that is not all that dissimilar from the one I have chosen. (set up wise) I didn't know this till just last week. I find it fascinating that two guys completely independent from one another come to what is basically the same process. Kinda cool.

There are a great many "10 commandments" in gunmaking/accurizing that exist today. They are regurgitated over and over because "that's just the way its been done". Many are valid but there are some that I really don't agree with.

Sometimes the box just needs to have it's walls kicked out.

You ask a great question. Hope I answered it to your satisfaction.

All the best,

Chad

Last edited by NesikaChad; 06-02-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Chad! That was very interesting and informative. I'll never get to do it myself but it is neat to see what's "behind the curtain".
Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

For someone like myself who has no machining or gunsmithing expertise at all, it is a treat to be able to see pictures of some of these things being done, let alone a write up as each steps taken. Very nice Chad, thank you for taking what I'm sure was a considerable amount of time to share this.