Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How hard is it to replace a stock on a Savage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

How hard is it to replace a stock on a Savage?

I have a Savage 110fp and want to put a new Mcmillan stock on it.How hard is it to change out a stock?Do I need to worry about messing something up?I don't want to make a mistake that will cost me accuracy,I have a torque wrench,so getting the screws to the right tightness won't be a problem.
BTW,I am planning on putting an A5 style on,in case that matters.
KQguy
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

its a very simple job just two screws and it falls out , no matter what stock you get a bedding job would be bennificial.

second , Unless you absolutly have to have a McMillan stock their ar alot of other real good options that will cost you way less. Stockade Gun stocks makes a very nice stock that is made like the A5 and it actualy better built as it has an aluminum bedding block that runs up into the forend , cost about half what a McMillan does finished and aout 1/4 if you paint it yourself !! Joell Russo makes an A5 stock that is made from Laminated wood , you have to finish it yourself but the wood allows to shape it to fit your had better cost about half what the mac does and you'll have it finished , and up and shooting way before Mcmillan is supposed to have your stock to you. then their is Manners stocks they make an A-5 style that is repprtedly way better built than the mac and the shipping time is alot less , customer service is said to be top notch.

Here is a pic of one of Joel Russo's A-5 laminated stocks on my personal 260 (actualy a selfless bump for a couple friends , Joel and Nate)

Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the help!I about fell over yesterday when I got a qoute on a new stock from Mcmillan.I will definately check out some of the other names you mentioned.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

If you think the price quote was bad you better expecty a kiss when the get the time quote then ad about 50% to that !!!

Joel Russo is a member here shoot him a PM and he'll get back with you typicaly realy fast and Kevin Rayhill here Stock Pricing | Prairie Dog Special/Tactical | Coyote Stalker | Elk Stalker | Woodchuck | Mule Deer | Hunting Sporter | Benchrest

and Manners here
Manners Composite Stocks
Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

I ordered a stock today from Kevin at Stockade,I ordered the money savings line(prep and paint yourself).I got the stock for just over $200,that's alot better than $700+ from Mcmillan.Kevin is a great guy to deal with,we must have talked on the phone over an hour just talking about guns and shooting.thanks again for the help!
KQguy
Old 02-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

You must have bought the Pdog/Tactical Special. In about 8 weeks you are going to be very happy. I got mine about a week ago. It is out in the garage drying the 4th coat of clear that is over a Plastikote Stone Fleck. It didn't take too much to prep the stock. The seams were quite good. On mine, the barrel channel wasn't quite straight or even. A bit of bondo and some sanding fixed it right up. A couple more coats of clear and it'll be ready for pictures.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
You must have bought the Pdog/Tactical Special. In about 8 weeks you are going to be very happy. I got mine about a week ago. It is out in the garage drying the 4th coat of clear that is over a Plastikote Stone Fleck. It didn't take too much to prep the stock. The seams were quite good. On mine, the barrel channel wasn't quite straight or even. A bit of bondo and some sanding fixed it right up. A couple more coats of clear and it'll be ready for pictures.
Yes I did get the pdog/tactical,are you going to bed your new stock?I am going to practice with my factory stock,so by the time my new one comes in,I will hopefully know what I am doing.;)