Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How to handle problems with gunsmith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to handle problems with gunsmith?

A word of advice. Never ever tell a smith no hurry, just get to it when you're not busy. I'm here to tell you that may be never!

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggc1960 View Post
Thanks for the reply, and yeah, I realize that. Our rifle seasons end in Dec, and for that reason I'm trying to remain calm, and not make waves or make him mad. It doesn't seem reasonable, to me, to not take a min to answer an email. Am I wrong ? And am I being a pain by trying to stay in contact ? It's not like I call him every day....mostly once every week or two. Went 8 weeks, and no contact from me, in the begining. Are all rifle builders that busy at this time of year ? I don't know, is why I'm searching for input. Thanks again

Good Smiths are busy all the time but they have schedules for every ones rifle if they are being truthful and your smith should have given you the start time for your rifle and the completion
within a week or two.

Never pay all the money up front, Just the money to pay for parts that he orders. This way he has incentive to finish (When he finishes, he gets the rest of his money).

There is no reason to avoid you and he should want to settle with you. If you are unhappy with his work you should go by and pick up your rifle and pay for the work he did and no more. take your rifle and go to another smith.

I feel I have a responsibility to explain in great detail what the owner can expect with the work he wants and what has to be done if he wants an accuracy guarantee then I will tell him what is
required and the cost. If he and I can't agree on "everything" I decline the work(With no hard feelings) And Offer to help him with any details he doesn't under stand.

It is always better not to do the work If the client is not going to be happy ,or better yet thrilled.

Building or improving a rifle should be a very exciting process, Not a disaster. From My point of view
it is both the Smith and the clients responsible to make it happen.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, JE Custom, and well said. Everything stated here is exactly what I think. Honesty and openess go along ways, in my book, and can help smooth the road . I reckon I'll be getting my stuff back. I sure appreciate all the help from this site. Seems like alot of good folks....
Gregg
Old 11-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Bronze Member

Got an update here. I talked to Mr. Gunsmith ( who shall remain nameless, unless I get really, really, really impressed ) this morning. He said he has been out of the country for the last 2 weeks, and is planning on having my rifle done next week. This is very good news, and while somewhat fragile, my faith in humanity has been restored!!! Thanks again, everybody. Patience truly is a virtue...just not one I posess. I wanted to climb down his throat when I answered the phone, but restrained myself, and it seems that this may have netted some good results. I'll keep it current- some body may need some moral support like I did!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Bronze Member

Update -
My rifle is done. Life is good. Now to get busy learning how to shoot it!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Bronze Member

Here is my valuable lesson learned the hard way. Check out the smith you're going to use. Try to get a look at his work, before you commit. Do
Not jump just to get the ball rolling. If you get a feeling something aint rite, it probably aint. If the smith starts being kind of vague, collect your stuff, and go somewhere else. Get a schedule, he should tell you. Thanks to JE Custom for that last tidbit, vry sound advice. I did every thing wrong, and got burned.
I got my rifle back, and it looked ok at a glance. Futher closer inspection wasn't so good. I'll try and learn how to post pictures. I genuinely hope some else can learn from this.