Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How do you make 'poured' pillars?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

How do you make 'poured' pillars?

I've heard from time to time that some folks make their own pillars by 'pouring' then from Devcon.

Anybody do this and maybe even have pictures of the best process?

thanks,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How do you make 'poured' pillars?

Why not just drill a hole and use G10?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Boss,
what is G10?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Why not just drill a hole and use G10?
I don't have any G10. And I've heard that nice pillars can be made by pouring them, I've got a bunch of steel bed and was curious how to make them.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

“Nema Grade G10 FR4 tubing is an electrical-grade epoxy resin system combined with a glass fabric substrate, cast to a specific size and either formed or ground down to the desired specifications. G10 FR4 tubes also offer excellent chemical resistance and electrical properties under dry and humid conditions. G10 FR Tubing also features high flexural, impact, superior mechanical strength and bond strength at temperatures up to 130°C. Applications include antenna masts, heat exchangers, coils and inducters. G10 fiberglass tubing is ideal for spcaers and stand offs. G 10 FR 4 tube also works well for bushings. G10 FR 4 Tubes are available in standard and custom sizes up to 6 " in diameter.”

This is what Speedy uses to make all of the pillars from on the rifles he builds for himself (he ran out last summer and I sent him 6 feet of it) as well as others. All of my rifles use G10.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

AJ, i think if i were doing it i would just drill out the action screw holes to about 3/4 inch, pour them full of the resin , let harden and then re-drill the action screw hole through the resin. this would give you the same basic thing as the pillar bedding technique, only using epoxy instead of alum.....sounds pretty simple...AJ
Old 08-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
AJ, i think if i were doing it i would just drill out the action screw holes to about 3/4 inch, pour them full of the resin , let harden and then re-drill the action screw hole through the resin. this would give you the same basic thing as the pillar bedding technique, only using epoxy instead of alum.....sounds pretty simple...AJ

Not exactly, you'd need to drill them in the right place and on the right angle, you'd also have to worry about the bottom metal and inletting for it. With pillars, all that is ignored, because they are held in exactly the correct position and are cut to the correct length for the bottom metal before they are installed. But I have thought about doing it they way you described.

AJ