Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How do you hold the chamber reamer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 PM

How do you hold the chamber reamer?

Hi fellas, I'm tooling up for my first rifle build and I've read the book "The complete guide to precision rifle barrel fitting" by John Hinnant. Mr Hinnant shows the reamer being held by hand in a home made wrench and being pushed by a dead center in the tail stock.
There is a fella over on "Practical Machinist" who sets the barrel up with a little "float room " in the steady rest and holds the reamer in the tail stock with an ER 40 collet chuck. Essentially he is reaming between centers with the piloted reamer becoming the tail stock center once the reamer begins to cut, when the reamer is retracted the barrel is resting on the steady fingers. I like the sound of this set up because I'd have one hand free to hit the kill switch and I also like the Idea of retracting the reamer with the tail stock hand wheel. However as I said I've never built a rifle before, so I would appreciate hearing your comments. Thanks oscer
Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How do you hold the chamber reamer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer View Post
Hi fellas, I'm tooling up for my first rifle build and I've read the book "The complete guide to precision rifle barrel fitting" by John Hinnant. Mr Hinnant shows the reamer being held by hand in a home made wrench and being pushed by a dead center in the tail stock.
There is a fella over on "Practical Machinist" who sets the barrel up with a little "float room " in the steady rest and holds the reamer in the tail stock with an ER 40 collet chuck. Essentially he is reaming between centers with the piloted reamer becoming the tail stock center once the reamer begins to cut, when the reamer is retracted the barrel is resting on the steady fingers. I like the sound of this set up because I'd have one hand free to hit the kill switch and I also like the Idea of retracting the reamer with the tail stock hand wheel. However as I said I've never built a rifle before, so I would appreciate hearing your comments. Thanks oscer

As you are just getting started I would recommend buying a reamer holder. These are designed to
do this job.

Manson makes one and there are several other makers that make one.

Start with the right tool and as you get more familiar with Gun Smithing you can do what works
best for you.

Chambering is one of the most important parts of building a precision rifle/firearm. the proper tool
for the job should always be used.

Other methods will/may work but until you become familiar with all of the aspects of Gun Smithing
use the tools that were designed for the job.

Start right, learn right and you have a chance to be a good Gunsmith. learning to do things Half ass
will only produce Half Ass results.

Just some advice

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

I like and use the JGS floating reamer holder. I do not like the concept of the Bald Eagle unit and to hold it solid is risky unless your tail stock is perfectly aligned in all axis. That is tough to do.

Equally important to how the reamer is held, is how the barrel is supported and chamber prepped before reaming. I would suggest getting Gordy Gritters chambering video.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
If you like 'Speerchuckers' method, I say go for it! Worst that can happen is you'll trash the barrel, snap off the reamer, and cut a finger or two off!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

I use a flat surface in the tailstock to push with and a wrench on the reamer. You have to make sure the end of the reamer is flat and smooth or it won't really float.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the response fellas, I see I found someone who frequents the PM forum. I've read some of the debate over there on through the headstock vs. between centers chambering and it sometimes degrades into folks just bashing each other. I'm not trying to set up a situation like that here, I'm just trying to figure out the way to proceed with this project.
Some folks have stated that floating reamer holders can introduce chatter into the job and I'm hoping to avoid that. The method outlined in the John Hinnant book is the between centers method. It seems to me though, that the barrel would be held more rigid in the through the headstock method which should help to prevent chatter even if the reamer is not held tightly, but if the barrel is spinning on the steady fingers and the reamer is floating, I don't know... sounds like I'm asking it to chatter. Thats the reason I was considering the ER 40 collets plus I have one hand free to hit the kill switch as opposed th Mr. Hinnants method of holding the reamer with a wrench. I could always wire a foot or knee operated kill switch through the drive to solve that problem though.
My lathe is pretty long through the spindle and I would have to make some sort of jig to hold and align the muzzle end of the barrel if I decided to go that route.

Last edited by oscer; 06-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Thanks for the response fellas, I see I found someone who frequents the PM forum.
Only to see what kind of "crack-pot" idea has been touted, next. Do yourself a favor and get some 'hands on' training, like the NRA Sponsored , week long training seminars, held at many of the community college gunsmithing schools across the country. It'll beat the heck out of any 'training' you'll get on "the mis-information super highway".