Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How to build switch-barrel savage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How to build switch-barrel savage?

Great articles guys! Keep the info coming!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Here is a question I have about building a switch-barrel Savage. If I have a .25-06 barrel and a .300 WM barrel and I am going to glass bed my stock....does it make a difference which barrel I have installed when I glass bed the stock?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis View Post
Here is a question I have about building a switch-barrel Savage. If I have a .25-06 barrel and a .300 WM barrel and I am going to glass bed my stock....does it make a difference which barrel I have installed when I glass bed the stock?
No, so long as you only bed up to the rear face of the recoil lug and the heavier of the two barrels is free floading.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgutter View Post
I'm sorry can you explain what you mean by CRF?

Thank you all for the suggestions, insight, and help thus far. I really appreciate all of your guys' comments.
The RUM and WSM actions used CRF bolt heads with standing ejectors. CRF stands for controlled round feed. The bottom of the bolt snout was machined flush with the bolt face. The bolt head ejector was removed and the action was slotted for a standing ejector held in by the trigger retaining pin. It helped the feeding of the fatter rounds in the older stagger feed actions.

Your action is not slotted for the standing ejector. I doesn't need to be. All you need is a magnum bolt head or a complete bolt from a LH 7mm or 300wm.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Bronze Member

Awesome, thats good to know. And good question curtis.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

I should just read the article on switch barrels but i am trying to cheat here. How do you take your barrel off with barrel nut wrench with your scope on? I have always taken my scope off, but maybe you know some cool tricks. I am getting my Lilja 338 edge barrel in with the KDF brake to go on my savage 112, cant wait!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter_colorado View Post
I should just read the article on switch barrels but i am trying to cheat here. How do you take your barrel off with barrel nut wrench with your scope on? I have always taken my scope off, but maybe you know some cool tricks. I am getting my Lilja 338 edge barrel in with the KDF brake to go on my savage 112, cant wait!
You have to modify the wrench.

Basically just cut the end off. I think if you plan carefully, you only lose 1 slot of engagement.

I have two nut wrenches. One that I've left alone for factory tight, and another that I've modified this way to keep the scopes on.

I wouldn't use a modified one on a factory tight nut.