Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How to bed a Savage 110

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 01:49 AM

How to bed a Savage 110

Hi all,

I`m new to this sight and am interesting in learning as much as i can about long range hunting rifles. I have been a bow hunter most of my hunting career.

Right now i have a Savage 110, with a plastic stock, in 30-06. I was wanting to know if this was a reasonable start for a long range hunting gun? I have read that i should bed the stock but not sure how to do that. Is there somewhere that has pic`s and explains the process, i looked thru this sight and couldn`t find detailed instructions.

I have plans of adding a Leupold VXii 3x9x40 with the M1 turret, i have a basix trigger on it`s way and i am also going to add a Harris bipod 6"-9"

Any help would be greatly appreciated

CA
Old 03-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard!!!

I'd say you have a good rig to start with.

It's quite a change from sticks to LRH. (ya, gotta watch my attempts at humor, sometimes that fall pretty flat.:(

Before I'd get all excited about bedding, I'd check how it shoots. If it shoots up to your expectations then don't mess with it. Not as much fun or the anxious moments when separating the stock and action on your very first, or second and third bedding job.;)

If the stock has a bedding block additional bedding usually not needed.

If no bedding block I'd consider both pillar and skim bedding.

Be reminded that the tang on a savage floats.

Instructions that come with the pillar bedding kit are very good.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Welcome aboard!!!

I'd say you have a good rig to start with.

It's quite a change from sticks to long range hunting. (ya, gotta watch my attempts at humor, sometimes that fall pretty flat.:(

Before I'd get all excited about bedding, I'd check how it shoots. If it shoots up to your expectations then don't mess with it. Not as much fun or the anxious moments when separating the stock and action on your very first, or second and third bedding job.;)

If the stock has a bedding block additional bedding usually not needed.

If no bedding block I'd consider both pillar and skim bedding.

Be reminded that the tang on a savage floats.

Instructions that come with the pillar bedding kit are very good.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the welcome rii!

My dad reloads, i`m just starting out in this aswell, he said he would work some loads up for it. I will start there before worrying about bedding, like you said.

Thanks for the info, yes it did help.

Don`t worry about the humor, my humor usually falls flat too lol.

CA
Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

If you decide to bed, I recently bedded my Savage 110 so I could possible help. Send me a pm or something.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Here's something.

I haven't watched it.

It may give you some hints.

Glass Bedding Your Bolt Action Rifle To Improve Accuracy for Remington FN Savage Browning Winchester CZ Walther Weatherby Kimber Howa Douglas Shilen Lilji Krieger ER Shaw - AOL Video
Old 03-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

I'll watch it and tell how it is...
Old 03-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Well it explains bedding...and then skips over it and shows the bedding completed. Looks like someone chopped it up so you have to pay for it.