Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

how to bed this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

how to bed this?

So I want to bed my A-bolt, got all the stuff on the way. I pull the stock off and see this.

http://a114.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...6161f41bc9.jpg

So my question is, how in the world can I stiffen up the forend without having to pour a whole pound of Epoxy in it? Bed a hunk of allthread rod in 1/4" of epoxy? Also (not shown in picture) there is hardly any clearance between the inletting for the trigger group and the rear action screw. so I don't know if I'll even be able to pour an epoxy pillar, let alone install an alluminum pillar. I'd really appreciate some advise on this one.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

You might consider getting a laminate stock. But if the trigger is that close on this stock, it's going to be that close on any stock and that would seem to pose real problems for pillar bedding. Hopefully someone with A-bolt experience will speak up soon. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a nice new stock, but I'm a starving college student now. It was hard enough to come up with the dough to buy epoxy and release agent. For now I just wanna squeeze what I can out of this one how it is. After taking off the stock I'm amazed that It shoots as well as it does (~1MOA) I had to burn alot of powder to develop a load that shot that well though (probably would have been a good start on a new stock).
Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

If it were mine and I were in your situation I'd go to the local farm/hardware store and get one (1) 1/4" electric fence post. They are about 4" long. Usually they are white and made of some kind of epoxy material. When full length they are flexible. Cut to 3 or 4" they are stiff. My last one cost me a dollar buck 50.

I'd dig out ,by whatever means are at hand a, slot that goes from the front of the void ahead of the recoil lug up the fore end for a couple or 3". That could give you as much as 5" of rod or so to cut.

Get some kind of epoxy, devcon, jb weld or whatever that will stick to both pieces of material. (I'm not sure that any of the ones i mentioned will?) Dab a little along the bottom of the void and the dug channel.

Press in the rod and cover w/whatever it is you choose.

If the flex point is where is is from my hollow stocks that should stiffen it quite a bit.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

Thanks a million Roy, that's kinda what I was thinkin'. I've read alot of your posts before and you seem to know what you are doin'. I've got devcon steel putty on the way. I think just to be safe I'll score the rod lightly to at least get a mechanical lock if the Devcon won't stick to it. I do have a rotary tool, so I don't think relieving a channel to put the fence rod in will be a problem.

Think I should just forget about the pillars? I've only got about 1/8" between the hole for the rear stock screw and the inletting for the trigger group.

Last edited by devildoc; 09-26-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Fill the void with Styrofoam peanuts then cover with duck tape, then bed with epoxy like Accra gel, the plastic stock is stiff enough now, if you put in all this metal you are adding weight you might not want.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtooth View Post
Fill the void with Styrofoam peanuts then cover with duck tape, then bed with epoxy like Accra gel, the plastic stock is stiff enough now, if you put in all this metal you are adding weight you might not want.

What Roy was talking about was a fiberglass or epoxy electric fence post, no metal. I was talking about allthread rod, which would definately add some ounces. But I don't see much difference between a void and packing peanuts, I can't imagine how the epoxy wouldn't shift under recoil if the only vertical support it had was air and styrofoam.