Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

How to adjust the new Remington 700 X-Mark Pro trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

How to adjust the new Remington 700 X-Mark Pro trigger

I recently adjusted the new X-Mark Pro trigger on my Remington 700 VTR, so I figured I'd let you guys know how it's done. Note: once you adjust the trigger, you will void the factory warranty on this part!

1) Make sure the gun is empty of ammo!! Take of the stock, very important, you can't adjust the trigger with the stock in the way lol.

2) Flip the barrel over, with the trigger facing up. The adjustment screw is on the front of the trigger assembly in the middle. There is only one adjustment screw, and it is a 1/16" allen key.

3) Clean off any epoxy or anything that might be holding the screw in place.

4) To lighten the trigger pull, turn the screw counter clockwise. To increase pull weight, turn the screw clockwise. It would help to count the turns that you made, so that if you want to return to the previous pull weight you can easily accomplish it. I managed to lighten my trigger pull to about 4 lbs. 2 oz. (counter-clockwise). Note: if the trigger pull is too light, the bolt will not cock, so increase trigger pull (clockwise) by about 1/4 turn at a time until the bolt cocks.

5) Now, check to make sure that your gun won't slam-fire. Make sure the gun is empty of ammo again, and snap the bolt closed as hard as possible. Also, work the safety on and off a few times. If the gun doesn't dry-fire, and everything is fine, great.

6) Now, back the trigger adjustment screw out 2 full turns (counter-clockwise) and clean the screw and the front of the trigger assembly off with acetone or another degreaser. Apply blue Loc-Tite or another removable thread-locker to the screw very sparingly. Then re-tighten the screw 2 turns, and wipe off any excess.

7) Check for slam-fires with the bolt again. Replace the stock, and drop the rifle on its butt a time or two from about 6 or 7 inches to make sure it doesn't slam-fire again. If not, you're good. Congratulations!

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by bowhunthard; 02-09-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: How to adjust the new Remington 700 X-Mark Pro trigger

Thanks BowHuntHard, looks pretty straight forward.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Gold Member

Very Important!! *Before you Lock-Tite the trigger adjustment screw, make sure the gun is unloaded, and work the safety to make sure it doesn't slam-fire that way either.* My gun went off at the range when I took the safety off, luckily I have been taught correct gun safety, and was on target, not somewhere else.

My previous post has been edited to reflect this safety issue!!

Stay safe.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

The tech at Remington said that each trigger mechanism is an individual, each one has a different adjustment range. Some will adjust below 2 lbs., while others bottom out at around 4 or 5 lbs.

Good luck, mine ended up staying at about factory weight (a hair below actually).
Old 08-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Silver Member

Some real B.S. adjust the trigger void the warranty. Yet they advertise fully adjustable triggers?Sound like putting the cart before the horse. Lou
Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Gold Member

Yeah I know :(. I bought a Timney 1.5 lb. - 4 lb. and replaced the X-Mark Pro, I couldn't be happier with the new purchase .

The only trick when buying a trigger to replace the X-Mark Pro, is that you need to buy the trigger with the safety assembly, because the safety is not transferable from the X-Mark Pro.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

No BS. If folks would do their homework they'd know adjustments are not to be made by the gun owner or anyone except the Remington factory or Remington authorized repair center. I'm sure Remington position on this is based on everything ranging from additional revenue stream, fewer lawsuits, marketing tool etc. IMHO triggers are not as simple a mechanism as some may think and adjusting one thing might affect another and should only be undertaken by a qualified gunsmith or in this case Remington factory or their authorized repair center. Otherwise you might have the gun go boom when it ain't supposed to.