Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Homemade fibreglass stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Gold Member

Homemade fibreglass stock

A while back I had my Rem700 30/06 rebarreled to 7mm rem mag. The only thing I didn't do was replace the factory plastic stock. Down here in New Zealand a fibreglass stock runs from $550 for a High Tech to $1200 for a McMillan Edge. I couldn't afford these so I decided to make my own.

I bought 4L of West Systems 105 resin and 206 hardner some Collodial Silica and 403 filler, 10 metres of 6oz both cloth and went for it.

I used an old wooden rem bdl long action as the pattern, filled up the holes with clay and used a real estate sign as the parting board and made a two piece mold from it. I used 4 coats of release wax and hair spray, it worked a treat!

8 layers of 6oz cloth later I had my 2 part mold finished.

The I layed up 6 layers of 6oz cloth inside the mold and about 9 layers through the pistol grip. The next day I trimmed up the edges and bolted the molds together and stuck the two halfs together with 3 layers of 6oz cloth.

I had already used silicon sealer to make a two part cast of the action area. I put the silicon cast in the action area and filled the area with resin mixed with 403 filler. The but was filled with expanding polyurethane foam. The last 2cm of the but were 6oz cloth and resin so I could screw and glue the recoil pad on.

The forearm was filled with polystyrene and overlaid with 6 oz cloth and resin.

Finally I painted it with a rubberised non-slip heavy duty paint. The finished stock weighs 825 gm/29oz.

Finished stock

Magazine cutout

Action area.

First shots with the new stock grouped to the same point of impact as the old stock. The first group was 1.75 MOA. I shot much better on the second group and managed 0.4 MOA at 100 yds.

Second group at 100 yds

All in all it has worked out well, and I still have enough material to make 2 more stocks at least.

Stu.

Last edited by kiwi3006; 07-01-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Silver Member

Re: Homemade fibreglass stock

Hey mate,great effort, can't have been easy, i imagine a few beers have gone into that project.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

Laid up fiberglass stocks are very good stocks and they use to be the hi end custom
stocks of choice but they were expensive because of the labor.

Your stock looks great and as you do more you will get faster and learn little tricks
that will cut your time and materials.

Regular bondo (Car Body Filler) works good for filling some of the gas bubbles and
imperfections.

Great looking stock !!!!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice project.

Any idea of your approximate cost?

Can you post pictures of your molds?

thanks, edge.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:52 AM
SPONSOR

Nice project! Maybe, with more experiance & some innovation to speed up the process, could lead to a part time business (or full time!) with the imports priced so high? Sounds like an opportunty to me!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

I'm with Edge.

Pics of molds?

Great project!!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the comments guys.
300R, it has taken me just over a year of thinking before I finally got around to it. I hate to think how many beers that was.
Yes I am thinking of selling a few as a part time business.
Costs are all in $NZ dollars, $180 for resin and the fillers, $6 a metre for the cloth, $24 for mold release wax( I have enough to do a hundred or more stocks) $2 a paint brush i have gone through 13 so far, $24 for a roller, $28 for silicone sealant, $77 for the paint (enough to do about 20 stocks). I mix the resin in plastic cups with ice block sticks. Total $419. But like I said I have enough resin to make two more so that works out at $139 a stock plus labour.

I will post some pics of the mold tonight when I get home. I kept the end of the butt open and the action/forearm area so that I could get access to stick the two halves together. Getting into the pistol grip area was tricky, I had to bend some fencing wire just right to stick the cloth down.

Stu.