Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

home made barrel vise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: home made barrel vise

yes thats is what i have been told i have all the stuff and it gives me something to do. i am ordering the nut wrench and action wrench.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:05 PM
SPONSOR

I don't do much Savage work, just not my 'cup of tea'. I have c/o barrels for several customers though, and found the barrel vice an asset, no fumbling. If you 're just doing a few or for yourself you don't need the barrel vice. A good bench vice w/jaw pads would work, too. Had one barrel nut so tight I was glad I had the barrel vice.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I don't do much Savage work, just not my 'cup of tea'. I have c/o barrels for several customers though, and found the barrel vice an asset, no fumbling. If you 're just doing a few or for yourself you don't need the barrel vice. A good bench vice w/jaw pads would work, too. Had one barrel nut so tight I was glad I had the barrel vice.
It helps for other things than just removing barrels. thanks so much for the info. it is nice to here from people who work on guns. i would post pics if i knew how. I will have about $5 in the vise not counting time but i am pretty useless so time is not worth much.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Gold Member

I used 2" because I bored holes for the acme threaded nuts in the bottom piece. 1" should be enough I also just used what pieces of scrap I had around.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

thanks i am cutting the ends off the bolts and welding the bolts in. This will give me a flat base for mouning
Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

I made this one a couple of years ago:

The barrel in it is for my savage 112BVSS 7mag. I originally planned to bolt it to the bench but clamping it to the mill table works great.

I machine aluminum inserts from chunks of 1-1/2" Al rod to fit the barrel of the rifle I'm working on and save them. Over time I'll have a set of the ones I need.

I've used it to work on Savages, Remingtons, Mausers, Winchesters, and Springfields. Works just fine. The clamp bolts are 1/2-20 Grade 8 bolts. I torque them lubed to 90 ft-lbs. No problem with slippage so far.

fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Bronze Member

i have mine built now i am going to use hardwood does the aluminum mess the finish up? I have a couple of blocks that i was thinking of boring diff holes in but i am realy only going to work on savage maybe remington of course i was just going to start reloading to help with accuracy and look what it has led me to. Thanks