Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

High Pressure Flush System/High Speed Chambering Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: High Pressure Flush System/High Speed Chambering Class

Look up Duff Norton Rotary Couplers. Stainless Steel, grease fitting capible, bearings, and attaches straight or at 90 degrees. Comes in many sizes, pressure, RPM and temperature ratings. I think I paid about $180.00 for mine. You can find them on e-bay sometimes for $30.00 or less. Substantially heavier than nylon or plastic models I have seen.

Nat Lambeth
Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
I'm just learning but it looks like you push the fluid in the muzzle and out past the reamer. Where does the fluid go after it exits the chamber end?
That's exactly how it works. A variation that I also experimented with was in addition to the through barrel method, I had gun drilled reamers with delivery holes poked down into the chip gullets of the reamer. This is by far the best way I think as it ensures you have a way to positively evacuate the chips. Getting oil around the tight fitting pilot bushing can sometimes be tough with a HSS reamer. Carbide tools tend to use bushings with heavier wall thicknesses and can be fluted to allow for fluid transfer. I personally don't care for the carbide reamers. They are very, very unforgiving and it's another huge investment to buy an inventory of pilot sizes because they are not interchangeable with the HSS tools. (Cost me about a thousand bucks to buy all the HSS pilots from 17 up to 338 caliber in .0002" increments)

A set up like this requires a sump. Gravity has the oil make its way back to the sump where it's recovered and recirculated through the pump.

Last edited by NesikaChad; 12-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustystud View Post
Chad:

I am running Rustlic 255R cut 5:1. I can not run those kinds of presures in an open lathe. I am running from 35-125 psi. But it works very well.

I use the same Duff Norton Rotary Coupler that you have in your picture.

Nat
I am in the process of building a low pressure system for the same reason (Open lathe)
and I bought the coupler and barrel attachment from Dave @ Pacific Tool and Gauge.

I am in the process of building the sump and drain pan and will let others know how well
it works when finished.

I realize it will not clear the shavings like the high pressure systems but hopefully it will
improve the process and reamer life.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

My system will clear 98% of all chips/shavings with simple flush. I runb a constant 35psi and back out .100 and flush with higher presure. I check for chip weld during the overall process. The coolant density is about that of whole milk. It has both cooling and lubricity. It is an extreme presure coolant. High clorine content you will be clean after using it. It flows around and under the pilot.

Nat
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Bronze Member

Hey! I love it when work overlaps my hobby!
I have had some experience with the deep drilling and Machine tool customers at work. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, I'll try to share some practical experience that will save some money and improve results.

I have had some success selling these Magnetic filters to prolong the life of the high pressure filters, And remove some of the finer metallic particles without removing the lubricating properties of the oils.

Magnom Case Study: Gun Drilling Machine -

When filtering the cutting fluids used in this process, keep your micron rating above ~10um to prevent filtering out the larger sulfur and fatty acids commonly found in these oils. I would also recommend a series filtering arrangement with progressive filtration to minimize the annual cost of the consumables. There are a number of commercial products available which will duplicate the (impressive) arrangement that Chad machined for his filters.

The big machine tool guys will also try to maintain their oil temp to within a few degree's of ambient temp to control expansion and tolerance consistency. They do it with expensive chillers, however there are some commercial products that will do a good enough job for smaller operations.