Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Hi Score Benchrest Follower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 03:51 AM
Silver Member

You don't need to get carried away with gluing the ramp in the action. First I test fit the ramp and file down the edges that hang down in the back below the action contour. I then use 6 very small drops of JB weld which squishes up to hold on a horiz and vert plane in the mag box cut-out recess of the action, and let it harden a day before bedding the action.

Then I use a single piece of clear shipping label tape over the ramp and back over all of the pin holes, bolt release and trigger slots to keep bedding compound from coming up through. I trace the tape around all of the cutouts with an exacto knife about 1/16" from the holes and cover all with release agent. This gives enough clearance between the ramp and bed to allow the recoil lug and action surfaces to provide support, rather than the ramp.

Ramp is easily popped out if you need to later with a quick rap of a dowel through the loading port.

Shummy

That said, if i was looking to continuously swap back and forth between stocks, I would probably use a few drops of silicone to hold the ramp instead of the JB weld.

Last edited by HoytemanPA; 03-28-2008 at 04:01 AM.