Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Here's Kirby's latest 338edge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Down Under Hunter,

The 300 gr SMK and 265 gr AT RBBT have nearly identical baring surface lengths. Only real difference in the length of the ogive on the RBBT is much longer so it will hang out of the case for a longer OAL then the SMK but a rifle throated for one will work just as well for the other with similiar bullet base position down into the case capacity.

You will get great performance with either, If you setting your 300 GR SMKs up for a repeater however the 265 gr AT RBBTs will likely be to long to fit in the mag box.

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby,

Thanks for the advice. Just so I get it right, I have the centre feed wyatt at 3.91 as well. I definitely want the gun set up with a round that will feed from the mag. This is a pre requisite for me to have with the (A) load. Do you think the 265 will be able to do this..(Still a little confused ) Shawns pet 300 smk load has OAl of 3.880. The wildcat just sounds that much better, but I don't want my gun so fussy that if the wildcat becomes not available I wont be able to fall back on the 300 smk. Sorry to bug you, but as you are one of the few with decent knowledge of the wildcat bullet, I feel I'll get the best advice possible. The barrel being used is a 5.6 Hart double tapered sendero profile, heavy fluted ss 30 " plus break.1-10

Thanks once again. Great bull by the way !
Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Down Under Hunter,

The simple answer is NO. If you throat your rifle the same way Shawn does his standard 338 Edge chamber throats, you will not get a 265 gr AT RBBT seated to the lands and still fit in the mag box, even a 3.910" mag box.

The nose on the 265 gr AT RBBT is VERY long. From the point the bullet would contact the origins of the rifling, the 265 is nearly 0.220" longer in nose length then the 300 gr smk seated to the same depth to just contact the lands.

So any OAL you would have with the 300 gr SMK, basically add, 0.220" to that length and that is what you would have with the 265 gr seated to the lands. In your case, with Shawns throat length on his standard Edge chamber, you would be looking at an overall length in the 4.040" range with this bullet.

This is why I had to take all the throat length out of my chamber and still use a 3.910" wyatts mag box to make this work and my case is significantly shorter then the Edge case length.

Unless you have the rifle throated very short, I do not see how you can make it work with the Edge, even with no throat, I think it would be to long to work as a repeater with magazine length of 3.910" as your limits.

If I may ask, why are you required to have a repeater? Just personal preference of something else? I assure you, a single shot long range rifle gives up nothing to a repeater as far as quick follow up shots in the field. But if you feel more confident with a repeater, by all means, just curious I suppose.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

Kirby,

I hear what you are saying about single shots. I just dont feel like I want the gun designed to be a single shot only. From what you are saying I could have the smk as the load to run as the repeater round and the wildcat as the single shot ?

Would you be better to throat the rifle for the smk at 3.880 OAL or the wildcat. I now understand that you think it unlikely that the wildcat will fit the magazine.

I just wanted to make sure that both would work in the rifle. If I cant get the wildcat to work in the mag, so be it. I guess I was trying to have the best of both worlds ?

Sorry to sound confused, but having never built a rifle before, I'm learning as I go.

Thanks Kirby.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Down Under,

My recommendation would be to have the chamber set up for the 300 gr SMK seated as long as the magazine would allow as a repeater and then if you wanted to use the 265 gr AT RBBT in single shot form you would still be in business.

I just don't think its possible to get the bullet seated deeply enough to allow repeating in the longer Edge case even with a 3.910" OAL allowed in the magazine.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

Cheers Kirby.

Good hunting
Old 08-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

338 edge w/a 32" barrel -------> man that's a nice longrange texas whitetail rig !!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol mike View Post
338 edge w/a 32" barrel -------> man that's a nice longrange texas whitetail rig !!
Thanks i can't wait to see how she does on some hogs at a 1000 are so. Hopefuly i can get some kills on video.