Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Here's Kirby's latest 338edge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

nice rifle jeff i got my 300 wm back last week but have been doing a job in larado came home for a couple of days. got to head back fri for about two more weeks.we need to get together and do some shooting
Old 08-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
Great looking rifle. I am having a similar rifle being put together and was interested if you specifically had the chamber cut to suit a particular projectile ? I will shoot the 300 smk also, but want to shoot the 265 wildcat as the primary round of choice. Did Kirby talk to you about the new Al tipped bullets. Also I read that alot of EDGE shooters are loading with H1000 around 93 grns with the smk. Thats probably want I'll load for that projectile.

Look forward to future successful hunts and lots of pics !!!

You're on a winner there !
i did have it built around the 300smk. i did here about the al tipped bullets but i want to shoot the smk. it not to hard to get them and the price isn't to bad. but when Kirby builds my 375AM i will be shooting the al tippers

Hey STXhunter i just built 1000yrd range at my new ranch. we need to get out there and do some shooting. I also set up a feeder that i can shoot out to a mile. how do you like all of this dam rain. i have so much hay for sale it's making me sick. i'm heading offshore in the morning. if i can't make any money i guess i have spend what i got to fill up the boat 225 gallons @ 2.69plus plus 6 gal of oil @ 21.99 i need some dam work !!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Silver Member

i'm going to try not to take any jobs for aweek or so when i get done with this larado job i need a break and to break in that new rifle if i can find my camera i'll post some pics of it. i think its in my bag on the boat.1000 yards that great only can shoot out to 500 at our place
Old 08-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Down Under Hunter,

The 300 gr SMK and 265 gr AT RBBT have nearly identical baring surface lengths. Only real difference in the length of the ogive on the RBBT is much longer so it will hang out of the case for a longer OAL then the SMK but a rifle throated for one will work just as well for the other with similiar bullet base position down into the case capacity.

You will get great performance with either, If you setting your 300 GR SMKs up for a repeater however the 265 gr AT RBBTs will likely be to long to fit in the mag box.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Silver Member

Length

Wyatts makes a 300 Lapua magazine box for about $300 ( OUCH!!). Does its length allow the AT Wildcat 265 gr to fit???

Overbore
Old 08-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Overbore,

I have the Wyatts 3.910" center feed design in my 338 AX rifle. I had to set the chamber up with the leade angle coming right off the chamber with no throat of any kind to allow for the length of the 265 gr AT RBBT.

Well, that is not true, my rounds are roughly 3.855" in length with the chamber this way. I could cut it with a 40 thou long throat and still fit but figured there would be no advantage really.

In an 338 Edge, you will have issues because the case is measurably longer then the Lapua case. This is one reason I designed the 338 AX. More capacity, shorter case, able to seat bullets out of the case more then the Edge for even more case capacity advantage, but its not as easy to load for as the Edge because you do have to fireform brass which is not needed with the Edge. Nothins for free....

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

that kirby guy must be getting pretty good at that gunsmithin, all the posts about his stuff are positive!
on another note, from the experience I've had with my kirby built rifle, I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it.
RR