Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

help me build a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalm View Post

Also, why Broughton? I thought cut rifled might be a better choice.

Thanks,
Matt
The 5C, 5R type rifling is seen to be about 50-75 fps faster than normal flat rifling in most cases

BH
Old 07-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Well so much for listening to opinions, but I was shopping around the internet and saw that Nesika had a few actions in stock... I had a friend with an FFL order one of their V model actions. Long action, RUM bolt-face with a solid bottom single shot. He just received it in the mail today.

SO, I have an action, and I now have to decide between the 300RUM, or either the 338RUM or 338-300RUM. Any other thoughts? I suppose there's no perfect answer, but my thoughts are I should see a better barrel life (possibly?) with either of the 338's. With a good bullet would you feel comfortable with a 700 yard (max) shot on an elk, or would the 338's have an advantage?

So given that info, what caliber would you choose, and what chambering reamer would you select? Do any of you set up tight-neck chambers that require neck turning, or are you satisfied with a minimum headspace chamber and a no-turn neck diameter.

Another thought was can a standard 338 RUM chamber reamer be used for the 338-300RUM by chambering to a deeper depth? I was wondering if the shoulder diameter and neck length was the same, and taper of the case at the base close enough that this could be done.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Well i might get flammed here due to what I am about to say but here it goes. I used to keep up with all the ooh's and awe's of the Nesika actions and normally would have been one of my first choices. With in the last months Nesika seems to have a QC problem and that was the only reason I did not mention them.

As far as tight neck or not would be soley up to you. Do you turn necks already? I have to turn most of my calibers so its not out of the ordinary for me but that is just me.

What round would I choose out of the ones mentioned I would go with 300RUM and then neck up to 338 and probably go ahead and improve it to. While I was doing that I would have decided on what weight of bullet I would want to shoot and set the throat accordingly.

BH has answered your question "why Broughton" and on top of that they are very accurate.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Silver Member

Well let's hope this action is a good one. What kind of QC issues should I check out on it? I would assume concentricity and squareness would be the major items.

FFL guy says it looks real good, and I should be quite happy with it.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Well I've got my action, and also the barrel, a 338 cal Rock 5R, 28 inch that's just over .9" at the muzzle, about a heavy Palma contour.

Now I'm looking at stocks, and like the looks of the McMillan HTG with the adjustable comb, in fact I just ordered one, but would change the order if someone gave me a good reason to do so. Pro's, con's or otherwise? I want a hunting rig that would be suitable for some long range shooting and that HTG stock is more on the side of 'hunting' vs. bench.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

The 338 is the weapon of choice for elk size game and bullet
selection is great in my opinion.

The 338 RUM is in the middle of the 338s in power and is a standard
factory loading making it a good place to start.

It has the standard mag bolt face making it easy to find a action
and minimise cost of a biuld.

The fact that they are slightly shorter helps if you want to shoot longer
bullets like the 300gr match king .(you dont have to seat them as deep
to get them in the magazine).

Sounds like your on the right track and after you shoot it you may not want to change it .

Good luck
J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 08-10-2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Silver Member

Will I be able to get any more out of the case with longer OAL seated bullets? Just curious since I do have a single shot action and I'm thinking about throating it so the bullet would be seated at the base of the neck, vs. deeper in the case. If I knew I could get enough speed, I would consider throating it for the 300gr Sierra. What would be a reasonable expectation for velocity with the 338 RUM and the 300 Sierra MK seated to the base of the neck?