Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Help figuring MOA of a rail base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Re: Help figuring MOA of a rail base

I'm not sure what kind of base that is but it's not an EGW. I've got EGW bases on three Vanguards and there hasn't been a problem with any of them. I didn't bed the bases but a problem like yours would have shown up when I lapped the rings.

The 700 LA is supposed to use the same base as the Vanguard but yours is nothing like the ones I have. The SA bases are different for the two makes unlike the LA. (screws have different spaceing)

What kind of problem did you have with the other EGW base?

I tried to send a picture (site dosen't support an upload from disk) but I do not have a site to put it on.
Dallas Jack
Old 01-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas jack View Post
What kind of problem did you have with the other EGW base?
Dallas Jack
Actually I am not saying this is an EGW because I did not purchase it new, it came with the rifle.

But the other two EGW's I had, I did buy new and they were very flimsey and the fit was like a sack on a sow. They actually bent to shape as you tightened them down. One that came to me direct from EGW for a SVM Weatherby short action was marked 20 moa on the package. After it did it's flexing act while I was tightening it down,(and yes I did bed it) the lapping job of the rings was a chore. Then I installed a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 on it and found that I was bottomed out at 100 yards and still 1" high. That means this 20 moa base is in reality 50 + moa.

I have seen enough of these cheap bases to say I am done with them. If I cant afford a good strong base that fits well, I will save till I can.

I talked to Richard Near yesterday. Looks like I will be ordering two from him. They fit like a glove, have a recoil lug , are strong as you can get, machining is impecable and he now has a light weight version and it is not aluminum.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2010, 05:34 PM

Wow, that sounds bad. I don't doubt you had those problems just not the same experience that I have had with them. I would do the same under those circumstances. I wonder if there has been a change at EGW.

Anyway good luck with your new bases. Let us know what you think of them when you get them.
Dallas Jack