Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Help figuring MOA of a rail base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help figuring MOA of a rail base

Eglet, Look closely at the last pic I posted. You can actually see that the front pad of the base is too tall. This is causing the base to bend in a "S" shape when tightened. The pad being too high is cancelling all the decline cant the base has.

Also, I did what yo said as far as tightening one end at a time. When only the front is tightened, there is a consistant .060" gap between the rear base pad and the receiver.

When only the rear is screwed down. There is a tapering gap between the front pad and the receiver.

I think I need a new base.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
GNERGY

I know it is not an EGW base because they have EGW stamped in them. I have a 20 moa EGW base and it is a lot thicker than yours.
Tarey
Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

I can't say what it is as I am not the origional purchaser.

But I do know, a NEW 20 moa NightForce is on it's way to me..

Since this is my second issue with less expensive bases, I will stay clear of them in the future. My first bending , not fitting, wrong moa base was indeed a EGW.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Good for you Broz,
AGW is the one I've been having problems with, unfortunaly I can't afford the NF.
I glass bedded mine and now is looking pretty good.
Good Shooting.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Bronze Member

For what it is worth, I have a 30 MOA Farrell on one of mine and in the instructions they tell you to bed the base. Given the variances and differences in tolerances between rifles of the same manufacture, it seems logical that a perfect fit is unlikely. Bedding corrects for this and should virtually eliminate the deflection of the base when tighten correctly. Same principles as glass bedding the action.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
For what it is worth, I have a 30 MOA Farrell on one of mine and in the instructions they tell you to bed the base. Given the variances and differences in tolerances between rifles of the same manufacture, it seems logical that a perfect fit is unlikely. Bedding corrects for this and should virtually eliminate the deflection of the base when tighten correctly. Same principles as glass bedding the action.
KDB,
you're right on the money. I also have Farrell base on one of my other rifles, much better base but twice as expensive or more. I did also glass bed this one just because of what you explained. I'm glad I did because it has to help keeping those groups together.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
I agree and I usually bed all my bases to take up the minor voids and mis-alignments of the two mating surfaces. I bought this rifle with the base installed and only checked the screws for tightness.

But,,, In this case this is a HUGE miss. To bed this base and retain a true surface on the top of the mount with the intended 35 moa cant, you would have .060" to .080" of bedding only under the rear pad of the base. This means you would need longer screws. That is not going to fly with any of us I am sure.

This base is soft and bends easy. In my opinion it is a cheap piece of junk and is not even close to the kind of equipment needed to engage in a long range shot on an animal.

Jeff