Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

help, bolt not wanting to come out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: help, bolt not wanting to come out

not enough primary extraction. if you have enough primary extraction and a rough chamber you would be pulling the rims off.

so that eliminates the rough chamber and means you have little to no primary or cam left between the cam surfaces.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Funny you posted this, I am having the exact same issue with a sendero in 308, and I mean exactly the same issue, chambers fine, very easy bolt lift, but a real Bit&* to eject the case, and scratches just as you described, I am taking the barreled action to my gun smith tomorrow morning and he is going to polish the chamber. if this solves the problem I will post and let you know. Other than that it is very accurate, sub moa at 1000+, but is not fun to shoot,in it's present state.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
not enough primary extraction. if you have enough primary extraction and a rough chamber you would be pulling the rims off.

so that eliminates the rough chamber and means you have little to no primary or cam left between the cam surfaces.
Jim, if that be the case why the scratches, and what would the fix be.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

scratches could be somthing in the chamber, but light scratches or small burs usually does not cause what you guys are describing.

the scratches could also be from;
the feed lips as the cartridge goes into the chamber.
could be the brass rubbing on the upper corner of the lug abutment as they are pushed to the side by the ejector when with drawing the spent case.

pics would help.

A lack of primary extraction is what you guys are describing and 90% of new Remingtons that have been coming out have a very marginal amount compared to the older models. A bolt handle properly placed on the bolt or a new ptg bolt will solve the problem.

The people at remington no longer understand what it takes to make a rifle opperate properly, they just keep turning out a poor product. if they cared it would be a simple fix in there manf process. but they don't care.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

Jim, the rifle I have is an older model that I traded for from a member here, help, bolt not wanting to come out-cases-002.jpghere is pic of cases one on the left is a fired case one on right unfired note scratches runing the full radius of the fired case. Thanks,

Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Rick, those look more like rings?
can you feel them on the brass if you rub your fingernail over them? or are they more visual than "textured"?

It is not uncommon to see rings in brass, if they are deep enough in the chamber the brass will flow into them and cause them to stick. The primary extraction or cam is what gives you the mechanical advantage to pop them loose so the extract easily.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Rick, those look more like rings?
can you feel them on the brass if you rub your fingernail over them? or are they more visual than "textured"?

It is not uncommon to see rings in brass, if they are deep enough in the chamber the brass will flow into them and cause them to stick. The primary extraction or cam is what gives you the mechanical advantage to pop them loose so the extract easily.
+1 here, see this all the time.