Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Help with Answer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

Help with Answer

Ok guys i have a question me and a few more and been going back and fouth with,

Ok if a Barrel company builds a barrel and its a Wildcat where you have to buy Custom dies and build the gun yourself are have someone else build it for you (NOT THE BARREL COMPANY)
And say the guy blows the gun apart with HOT reloads are weapon not put together right.

Would it take the Liability off the Barrel company since , he didnt build the gun are give any load deta are did the reloading for the Customer?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Help with Answer

Any one can sue anybody over any thing, in this country, if you have the price of, or are a lawyer. That being said, unless they could prove that there was a metallurgical defect in the steel used in the barrel, or that the bore diameter was too small there would be almost no chance of winning.
But then if you asked me a few years ago if some one spilled HOT coffee down their own crotch if it would be possible to sue McDonald's and win, I would have said your nuts.
That is why any one in business who does not have a BIG Liability/Umbrella policy is a fool.

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

My recomendation, own up and be an American.

Face it. Why blame some one for your own idea going south. Unless there is an obvious flaw with a particular product used in your build.

Take responsibility for doing something that was your choice. Face it you took a gamble, you lost. It's your choice to continue playing. Don't go making the rest of us pay for your choices in life.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 AM
SPONSOR

As stated before any with enough money can sue anyone. BigSkyGP sated the best.

Quote:
My recomendation, own up and be an American.

Face it. Why blame some one for your own idea going south. Unless there is an obvious flaw with a particular product used in your build.

Take responsibility for doing something that was your choice. Face it you took a gamble, you lost. It's your choice to continue playing. Don't go making the rest of us pay for your choices in life.

If the barrel mfg. is only going to build you a barrel blank ( ie: .30 cal / 1-10 twist with a #5 contour) and a smith chambers your barrel to your wildcat cartridge and go gauge with proper headspace and gives you no load information, it's up to the reloader/shooter to know what is safe and what's not. The gun's not going to blow up for no reason. 99.9% of the time it's the reloader that didn't know what they were doing to result in a case failure. It pisses me off to even think that someone would sue a smith for they're own stupidity.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 04-22-2011, 01:25 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cram View Post
As stated before any with enough money can sue anyone. BigSkyGP sated the best.

If the barrel mfg. is only going to build you a barrel blank ( ie: .30 cal / 1-10 twist with a #5 contour) and a smith chambers your barrel to your wildcat cartridge and go gauge with proper headspace and gives you no load information, it's up to the reloader/shooter to know what is safe and what's not. The gun's not going to blow up for no reason. 99.9% of the time it's the reloader that didn't know what they were doing to result in a case failure. It pisses me off to even think that someone would sue a smith for they're own stupidity.
A+++++ to that answer, Kevin! I didn't respond to this post earlier because it did nothing but piss me off! But, the stupidity goes on and on, and its getting worse. Stick your finger in a light socket and you'll get bit!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

YES, I have been at the range and twice seen the wrong cartridge loaded and shot, like a 7mm out a 8mm. I also saw one guy in bow league dry fire his bow at least 6 times over the course of a few leagues
Old 04-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
YES, I have been at the range and twice seen the wrong cartridge loaded and shot, like a 7mm out a 8mm. I also saw one guy in bow league dry fire his bow at least 6 times over the course of a few leagues

You must have moved over a few lanes, or left the area.