Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Headspacing: Is GO gauge supposed to equate to never-fired brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: Headspacing: Is GO gauge supposed to equate to never-fired brass?

I have found out that any ultra mag gauge will will work for any OTHER ultra mag caliber, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE 338RUM, which would need it's own SPECIFIC gauge. I'll get a 300RUM gauge, but what is the best brand? I've found that Forster, Clymer, Manson, and Ackley make them. But I've also heard that there are variances between them, within the SAAMI spec. I want to use the one that is the tightest (shortest).
Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
I have found out that any ultra mag gauge will will work for any OTHER ultra mag caliber, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE 338RUM, which would need it's own SPECIFIC gauge. I'll get a 300RUM gauge, but what is the best brand? I've found that Forster, Clymer, Manson, and Ackley make them. But I've also heard that there are variances between them, within the SAAMI spec. I want to use the one that is the tightest (shortest).

I use Manson,PT&G and Clymer and have found them to be very accurate to SAAMI spec.

I normally use the same brand head space gauge as the reamer I use for the chamber.
there should be no difference , but it just makes sense to me that they both be cut by the
same company.

Note: The head space gauge will not be tight on the sides of the chamber. It is used only to
set the chamber length (Head space) of the chamber. Also if you notice, SAMMI has two sets
of dimensions for each cartrige. One is for the chamber and the other is for the cartrige
manufacture.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
Man, SAAMI spec is SAAMI spec, the standards of the shooting sports industry. These gauges each have a serial number on them. They are made to industry specifications (SAAMI, Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufactures' Intitute). Call any of the makers and ask this same question and I'll be able to hear the laughter from here! If you are worried about it, take the rifle to someone reliable who understands gauging and have them check it for you. www.saami.org
Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 AM
SPONSOR

By the way, there are two gauges needed to check your factory rifle, a GO and a NO-GO. In your case of "over pressure" I'd be usin' the NO-GO first. "Over pressured" components deserve an inspection by someone familiar with what they are looking for and they should be Magna Fluxed. You could be dealing with a potential "catastrophic failure", not just a headspace issue.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

I think there were plenty of warnings given ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Bronze Member

The pressure relationship is not linear past the point of safe charge weights.. It's exponential. You can't simply interpolate the velocity and the charge weight or over charge etc. and draw any conclusions from the rationale you presented. Check and recheck your practices for loading, sounds like you got lucky! You might not be so lucky the next time.