Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Headspacing: Is GO gauge supposed to equate to never-fired brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

Headspacing: Is GO gauge supposed to equate to never-fired brass?

I'm looking for the poor man's way to check for excessive headspace in a center-fire rifle. Obviously, the bolt should close without any resistance on brass that has never been fired. My question basically is: How thick of a shim can be placed between the bolt face and the fresh (I would try 5 to 10 of them, to establish an average) brass, before the bolt gets hard to close, or won't close?

If I punch out a round piece of aluminum from a can that is slightly smaller in diameter than the rear of the shell, place it behind it, and the bolt will close on it with only slightly more pressure, is that too much headspace? The aluminum is .004" (4 mils) thick. The gun (Savage 7mm rem mag) HAS had some pretty hot loads though it, one in particular that was way too hot, and roughly 500 rounds total through it.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Headspacing: Is GO gauge supposed to equate to never-fired brass?

NEVER use a brass case to check headspace. New brass is undersized so it should fit in any chamber, that undersizing varies from lot to lot from the same manufacturer and varies a LOT between manufacturers.
Take the gun to a gunsmith and have it checked if you are concerned, or buy a GO gage from Midway or some one else, they are about $28.00.
The GO gage can be used with a piece of scotch tape as a NO GO gage, the scotch tape adds about .0025 and the bolt should NOT close.

Dave

Search results for: go gage
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

OK, new brass is undersized then. I don't want to spend on a rem mag gauge at this point because I plan on re-barreling soon anyways, and also chambering-up to RUM, while I'm at it. So I don't see the sense in also spending on a gauge for a barrel/chamber that I will be ditching soon. I was just curious if the over-charged load took it out of spec. On that shot, the chrony showed 3875fps on a Nosler 120 BT, and the bolt was definitely tight coming up (powder was RL19). Assuming a linear relationship between charge weight and energy produced in the fired round, my estimate on what the charge weight had to be in that round puts it at about 83 grains, a 9.5 grain or a 13% over-charge! I'm not really sure how it happened.

I guess it really doesn't matter if that one took the rifle's headspace out of spec, since the barrel is slated to be swapped out to the RUM barrel in about a month or so, anyways. I'll just play it safe and not fire it any more until then. But what REALLY scares me now, is that the RUM setup that I will be switching to may not be so forgiving of a mistake of that magnitude.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
NEVER use a brass case to check headspace. New brass is undersized so it should fit in any chamber, that undersizing varies from lot to lot from the same manufacturer and varies a LOT between manufacturers.
Take the gun to a gunsmith and have it checked if you are concerned, or buy a GO gage from Midway or some one else, they are about $28.00.
The GO gage can be used with a piece of scotch tape as a NO GO gage, the scotch tape adds about .0025 and the bolt should NOT close.

Dave

Search results for: go gage
+1. Improper headspace could result in destruction of the rifle, injury, or even death. Don't take chances! Always check the headspace properly and with the right tools before firing.

Any other concoction is at your own risk. IMHO, there is no compromise when it comes to safety.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
I'm looking for the poor man's way to check for excessive headspace in a center-fire rifle. Obviously, the bolt should close without any resistance on brass that has never been fired. My question basically is: How thick of a shim can be placed between the bolt face and the fresh (I would try 5 to 10 of them, to establish an average) brass, before the bolt gets hard to close, or won't close?

If I punch out a round piece of aluminum from a can that is slightly smaller in diameter than the rear of the shell, place it behind it, and the bolt will close on it with only slightly more pressure, is that too much head space? The aluminum is .004" (4 mils) thick. The gun (Savage 7mm rem mag) HAS had some pretty hot loads though it, one in particular that was way too hot, and roughly 500 rounds total through it.
A head space gauge is based on SAAMI specks and all ammo is sized smaller in order to fit
any chamber. The use of ammo to head space a chamber is not recomended because is is
difficult to know what there size is compared to SAMMI is There can be .003 to .005 Thousandths
difference between brands.

It is common however to check factory ammo for for fit after the chamber has been head spaced.

If the ammo is new .004 worth of shims should be tight/snug but if it is fired in that chamber it
should not go at all. (Note: if you force the bolt closed on a fired case with a shim behind it of
any thickness it will set the shoulder back on the case and will not tell you anything) That
is why you must use a head space gauge that will not compress.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

Ok, I forgot to mention, that right now I don't even posses any un-fired brass. It WAS fired (maybe 4-5 times) Winchester brass that I could close the bolt on with minimal resistance with the 4 mil aluminum shim behind the cartridge.

Here is the other thing that concerns me: On several of the shells that were fired in the rifle after the over-charged shot, and then were reloaded, the primers fell out, indicating that the primer pockets are streched! Is this an issue with the brass itself, or is it a more serious issue? I am NOT firing the gun right now, and don't plan on firing it again until AFTER my new heavy stainless 7RUM barrel goes in.

Who makes or sells a GO gauge for 7RUM? I'm having trouble finding one.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
Who makes or sells a GO gauge for 7RUM? I'm having trouble finding one.
Gauges - Pacific Tool and Gauge Inc.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.