Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

headspace question (yes, another one)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM

Re: headspace question (yes, another one)

thanks much for the help guys. The new issue I have is my barrel will not stick out of the back of my lathe (where I install my spider) while still being held in my 4-jaw chuck, its a 20" barrel, just didn't think of that until now. I have a steady rest but it has brass feelers and not roller bearings, I am afraid I will mar the SS barrel if I use it to hold the barrel. My thinking was to use a lathe dog and dead center on the end of the barrel while turning the threaded end (action end) down. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any thoughts on how to hold the barrel? I do thing the 4 jaw chuck may hold it but i am unable to make both ends of the barrel centered while on end is not sticking out. . . .can't indicate it if it's hidden in the lathe :-(

so far, without being able to dial in the thin end of the barrel I can get the fat (threaded end) end of the barrel to a couple of tenths' and the face of the shoulder to with in a half a thou, I do see some slight wobble in the thin end of the barrel while the lathe is running (slowly) but imagine that with the measurements I have I should be good to go, just don't like the thought of not dialing in both ends

So,
1. go for it as is with a few inches sticking out of 4 jaw chuck
2. try dog and steady rest (marring concerns there)
3. other suggestion from you good folks?

thoughts?

again, thanks to all!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a link to a worksheet that will help get critical measurements, http://www.viperbench-rest.com/Remin...Directions.PDF

You do not need inches hanging out the lathe, just enough to let you have clearance for tooling and be able to set back the tenon.

I've held a a short barrel in my action truing jig and carefully done work.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Put it in your steady rest.......... you don't need rollers to chamber in. It's been done a million times and will still get a chamber better than factory.