Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

headed to school!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

headed to school!

Well after my last thread where we discussed the aprenticeships and schools, I thought I would give all of you involved an update. I have decided to go to Trinidad for the gunsmithing program. I have been accepted and am headed there for the spring semester! I would like to thank everyone for the advice and help in making the decision. I think that the final decision was made after talking to Speedy Gonzalez and him telling me that on top of going to school, I could work in his shop as well learning some more advanced techniques! It really seemed like the best of both worlds and an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I will keep you guys updated as things progress and will deffinately post pictures of the rifles that I build!

Thanks all for your insight and advice!
John
Old 07-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: headed to school!

Right on man!!!!!! Don't forget us here at LRH when your having all that fun learning from some of the best. I've been reading on the program also, my situation won't exactly permit me to pull stakes and do it but I'm keeping it in the back of my mind, well I guess it's not to far back in my mind!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Silver Member

Congratulations mate,let us know how you get on,i have been doing a lot of research and trinidad looks like a great school,i am still deciding if i am gonna take the plunge and head to the States to learn gunsmithing my two schools of choice are trinidad and cst.How many students per class at trinidad.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

I didn't ask how many students per class, but I asked a number of question about shop time. I was told there is plenty of extra time to work on extra projects (extra guns and jigs, which speedy has lots of extra prints), if you put your head down and work while you are there. Speedy told me thatsome people just do the minimum required while other have built as many as 35 different guns while they were there. So there is ample shop time and usage.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

CONGRATS Japple!!!
Hey if I have gainfull employment again by spring and you need a rifle or two to practice on, lemme know. I have a couple in my gun cabnet that are waiting for some love. Id love to do something with them. Both are Model-70 Winchesters.... Hmmm go figure, me with a bunch of Model-70's... one is a 30-06, and the other is a 300wby. Both completely factory minus diy triggers and recoil pads. The -06 needs a new pipe, and the 300wby I want set up for my dedicated L/R toy.
Id be delighted to keep my $ local or at least get the work done by a local Eastern Oregon guy, (Even if your in another state).
Best of luck to you on your adventure!! Sounds like a dream come true. I have a wife and kids and too many reasons why I cant up and go to school, or Id join you!
Dont be a stranger to L/R/H. Im guessing you may acquire a large clientell from here. Like I said Id be honored to be one of the first if I have the $ to. Just let me know.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

I would be more than hapy to work on your rifles when things get going down there! I am pretty excitied about it, now just have to sell the house and get moved! I will deffinately stay in touch here on LRH, you guys are the ones who got me addicted (before it was just an interest) in precision rifles. I will be sure to let everyone know what is happening and how things are progressing. The NRA whittington center is only 20-30 minutes from the school, so I will have lots of opportunities to take the rifles out and play with them. I am allreeady coming up with a list of rifles to build there. Trying to get as big of a variety as I can! Thanks for the support winmag!!!

John
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Congratulations. Go for it, don't look back and don't second guess yourself even when the going gets a little tuff. We're all pulling for you and one day we expect to see a pic of your Gunsmith Shop. Take care and best of everything to you and yours.