Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

head space or bolt face

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM
SPONSOR

Re: head space or bolt face

You could have it re-crowned, that nick probably isn't helping anything, or you could have it re-barreled. A 270 Win will fit with no bolt face alterations. You can do a 7mm Mag but the bolt face will need to be opened up to a mag and a sako extractor installed. If your going to install a new barrel that's the time to have the action blueprinted. I don't know who your gunsmith is in MN but if your comfortable with his work than by all means that who I'd use.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 11-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

the gun smith I have been using is ahalmans in s. MN has any 1 heard of them what I here thay are the best ( i think ) around here thats were gander mountan and other so called gun stors send there stuff is this right realy thinking about the 7mm mag the only prob I see with it is were is the bullet going to go after leaving a deer how far will it go who will it hit what I am looking for is long range 300 y ? with all the ballistcs of 30 cal and vary accutare HELP
Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 AM
SPONSOR

It's hard to say how far the bullet will go aftre it exits a deer. It would depend on what the bullet struck, bone or in between ribs, was it perfectly broadside or did the bullet strike it quartering toward or away. If the furthest your planning on shooting is 300 yards you wouldn't have to go to a magnum unless you wanted. Most any 30 cal. with good bullets is capable of taking deer size game at 300 yards.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

just got back form deer hunting up here in MN rifle season thinking about it all cal. that is . This what I came up with . start with bow opener sep 13th went up to the canda border 6 miles south spent 4 day there didnt see a think just tracks . Came home 2 day lator went down to river bottoms in the AM 20 min. from home set up a stand in just the tree no stand 20 foot up came back in PM 3:00 4:45 8 point with a kisser walked out 35 yards boulbe lun pass througt droped in 20 yards away . Rifle opener nov. 8th back up north not as far doe walks out behind me 20 yards to the right I am right handed ( wished id had a 44 mag then black hawk that is ) so it walked behind me when it came around I pulled up (slowly) sighted in stoped and thought I should have my bow well that did happen didnt know it at the time after it drpoed another 20 yards away gutting it I did a perfick hart shot it exploaded and took out the front left 1/4 (I always do that gess I dont like tracking) went up 2nt week end sitting there just thinking and looking pulled out range finder a lot. trying to find a 300 yard shot up here is dam hard unless dad has a farm mine dont so 7.62X63 will do just fine so there that. Now how accurate do I want to get well lets just say with my bow a mathews that is decked out vary nice all up to date 2008 60 yards 5" circle dam neer every time 40 on down I am getting tired of buying arrows so I gess with my 721 in 30.06 looking at 2" at 200 that not to mutch to ask for the only prob I see is getting it done before i a wheel chair or. Most likley go with recrowned barrle and a new stock starting to go back to a wood stock Uall know what I mean wow ben doing this 1 for a while