Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Hang fires, Jewel trigger of firing pin???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 05:18 AM

Hang fires, Jewel trigger of firing pin???

I just recently got back from a couple of weeks in the bush and on two occasions I was all lined up on a deer and after squeezing the trigger what seemed like a lot harder than normal the rifle did not fire. The first time I thought perhaps the rifle was not coked, but then as soon as I started to lift the bolt, BANG! Thinking that this was caused by a dud primer or something I thought nothing of it.

The second time I did not touch the bolt but I had taken my finger off the trigger for about one second, then BANG.

This second time I was more a wear of what was going on and I noticed that the firing pin did not release when the trigger was pulled.

I dry fired the rifle dozens of times after this and everything seemed to work fine. But then a couple of hours later I tried dry firing it again and on pulling the trigger nothing happened, as soon as I started to lift the bolt the firing pin released and, click. This was repeated several times, tapping the side of the stock would also release the firing pin.

That night I took the bolt apart and gave it a good oiling and have since fired about a dozen rounds without a problem

The rifle was a 6 month old stainless Rem 700 with a newly fitted Jewel trigger. I had fired about 20 round with the new trigger without a problem before the first hang fire.

Oiling the bolt seemed to help but I struggle to believe this was the problem as it was very clean and not rusted or gummed up in any way. I have heard that Jewel triggers can be susceptible to dirt but this trigger has never gotten even slightly dirty.

Does any one have an idea what might have caused this? I fitted the trigger myself and Iím no gunsmith, could I have done something wrong?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hang fires, Jewel trigger of firing pin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by whin4 View Post
I just recently got back from a couple of weeks in the bush and on two occasions I was all lined up on a deer and after squeezing the trigger what seemed like a lot harder than normal the rifle did not fire. The first time I thought perhaps the rifle was not coked, but then as soon as I started to lift the bolt, BANG! Thinking that this was caused by a dud primer or something I thought nothing of it.

The second time I did not touch the bolt but I had taken my finger off the trigger for about one second, then BANG.

This second time I was more a wear of what was going on and I noticed that the firing pin did not release when the trigger was pulled.

I dry fired the rifle dozens of times after this and everything seemed to work fine. But then a couple of hours later I tried dry firing it again and on pulling the trigger nothing happened, as soon as I started to lift the bolt the firing pin released and, click. This was repeated several times, tapping the side of the stock would also release the firing pin.

That night I took the bolt apart and gave it a good oiling and have since fired about a dozen rounds without a problem

The rifle was a 6 month old stainless Rem 700 with a newly fitted Jewel trigger. I had fired about 20 round with the new trigger without a problem before the first hang fire.

Oiling the bolt seemed to help but I struggle to believe this was the problem as it was very clean and not rusted or gummed up in any way. I have heard that Jewel triggers can be susceptible to dirt but this trigger has never gotten even slightly dirty.

Does any one have an idea what might have caused this? I fitted the trigger myself and Iím no gunsmith, could I have done something wrong?

Thanks
this is why I don't use a Jewell trigger in the field. They need to be cleaned on a regular basis (almost daily in dusty conditions). Try flooding the trigger group with lighter fluid (of course you need to remove it). Then after it dires you can lube it with whatever you choose. I once did a Cooper rimfire that came with a Jewell trigger, and it wasn't uncommon to have to clean the trigger group twice in a match. I finally quit using oil in it, and went with powdered graphite. That's why I didn't install one on my 700 varmit rifle, as they just are not dust and mud friendly
gary
Old 10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Gold Member

If you go to Jewels trigger manual, it says to flush with lighter fluid but DO NOT lubricate! Any oil or lubricant will attract and hold dirt and dust and cause a problem. Keep'm dry. Also below is the link to another thread on this same topic.
Dave

Jewell trigger?

THE JEWELL TRIGGER MANUAL
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
If you go to Jewels trigger manual, it says to flush with lighter fluid but DO NOT lubricate! Any oil or lubricant will attract and hold dirt and dust and cause a problem. Keep'm dry.
Dave

Jewell trigger?

Good information and thanks for the reminder. That's what I thought I had read in Jewell's literature in the past.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
If you go to Jewels trigger manual, it says to flush with lighter fluid but DO NOT lubricate! Any oil or lubricant will attract and hold dirt and dust and cause a problem. Keep'm dry. Also below is the link to another thread on this same topic.
Dave

Jewell trigger?

your correct, but in the back of my head I say they're nuts! Dry graphite worked very well on the Cooper. But as I said they are not made to work in the field, but a very controlled enviorment. Plus I really don't wanta be shooting groundhogs with a guy using a 2oz. trigger!
gary
Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 PM

I've seen this before with a Jewell. If there is anything between the cocking piece of the bolt or the sear of the trigger this can happen, at least that was what caused it in our case. Make sure the safety of the trigger isn't contacting any part of the stock too, they are bigger than a factory unit.

I don't use any wet lubricant on a trigger. Wet lubricants attract dust, dirt and grime and can cause things like...a hangfire. In cold it can lock up your trigger. I use Moly-D, graphite or some other dry lube on a trigger if it's needed. Of course always follow manufacturers recommendations.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have seen the same thing happen with Jewels on more than one occation. As already stated above, I fulsh them about 3 times with lighter fluid and blow them out with dry compressed air. The lighter fluid as it dries leaves a very light film of lube. This is why the LF makes the perfect cleaner. I use no other lube.

Jeff