Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Gunwerks 7mm LRM Reamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 01:45 PM

Gunwerks 7mm LRM Reamer

I've purchased a 7mm LRM reamer from Genwerks in hopes of having a rifle put together for me in the same cartridge. I've purchased a Lilja #5 sporter stainless steel fluted 1 in 9 barrel but I've been shown by the gunsmith that the reamer pilot won't even start down the barrel and he's told me the bore is to tight to be worked on. I called Lilja and Dan asked me to send the barrel back to be look at. He sent it back to me and followed up with a call today assuring me the barrel bore was cut and lapped to the proper specifications for a 7mm barrel (.276).

Is it possible the reamer pilot is incorrectly sized? Any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited by victorc; 08-02-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Gunwerks 7mm LRM Reamer

I'm certainly no expert in this area but it seems to me that if you conatcted gunwerks they should be able to tell you what the diameter of the pilot should be. You could then mic the one you have and see if it is out of spec.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorc View Post
Is it possible the reamer pilot is incorrectly sized? Any advise would be appreciated.
One of the reasons to own a reamer with removable pilot bushings is so you can use whatever bushing fits the barrel.

If your reamer has a removable pilot bushing, you need to contact the manufacturer and order a set of bushings for it.

If it is a solid pilot reamer, you need to send it to the manufacturer and have it changed to a removable bushing style and order a set or bushings for it.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

The bushings included with the reamer are only put on there as a courtesy. Your "gunsmith" should know this and just select one from his set that fits. If he is in the business he should have a 9 piece set for every caliber on hand. I have never seen a Lilja that far out of spec.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 PM

Hired Gun, are you telling me Dan Lilja is feeding me full of garbage when he's telling me the bore diameter for a 7mm barrel is .276"?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

The reamers are pacific tool and guage and usually can swap out the bushing on the end.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

When I say out of spec I mean so far off it can't be used. I use a lot of his barrels and they are all 1/2 moa or better.

Dan is a straight shooter. A typical 7mm barrel is .2760 bore diameter give or take .0005" and around .284" groove diameter. No two are exactly alike is why we carry multiple reamer bushings for the task. The bushing set for 7mm are:
.2770 .2768 .2766 .2764 .2762 .2760 .2758 .2756 .2754

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.