Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Gunsmiths in Montana?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Gunsmiths in Montana?

I'm of the belief that black goes with everything but I'm also one of the LEAST artistically creative as well as artistically challenged people you will ever find so my choices usually are all on the conservative side. I always go the conservative route because I think, what if I don't like it in 6 months.

So, if it were mine, I would go black or titanium. Titanium, IMO, looks kind of like a dull stainless. I think black would give it a really good contrast and make both the stock and barreled action stand out. Titanium would flow together with that cayenne colored stock and probably look nice but the rifle wouldn't, IMO, be as noticeable because you wouldn't have the same contrast as you would if the non stock areas were black. Just one guys opinion and good luck with your build.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

FWIW, I've had excellent luck with Billings Gunsmith's. Built 5 rifles so far and repaired many more. I will say, they don't handle "assholes" well, so take the reviews with a grain of salt, they will do EXACTLY what you want them to do, offer suggestions, and then do what YOU want.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebhardt02 View Post
I think your best bet would be to call and stop in to one or more gunsmiths in Billings and have a nice chat with them and maybe check out some of their work. If you aren't happy, then explore other options.

Snowy Mountain Rifles would be happy to work on your rifle for you, and installing the Karsten cheek piece would be no problem at all. The bolt knob isn't a problem either and we even manufacture our own knobs if you are interested in one. Additionally, we also make our own muzzle brakes so threading the muzzle for one of these also isnt a problem. Same with engraving anything you would like.

You can give me a call on Monday if you would like so we can discuss your project if you are more comfortable either bringing your rifle to us in Missoula or have it shipped. I'd still recommend contacting a Billings area smith though and getting to know the person and their work. Good luck with your project.y

Geb
nick@snowymtnrifles.com
406-480-4900
Sorry, as i haven't paid much attention to the thread. my phone has been shut off may i email you guys about it? (im going to anyways ) May you walk me through the Mailing phase? a 4 to 6 hour drive isnt exactly what i would see as a simple drive to the local dairy queen haha.
Guns I own: 300 winchester magnum, 7mm Rem mag, 243, H&R 22 revolver, BT99 12 gauge, 20 gauge break action. 20 gauge pump, 22 break action, 257 Roberts, winchester super x 1. Wishlist: 308 winchester, 6.5mm-284 Norma, 17 HMR, 7mm RUM, another 7mm rem mag LOL, 44 magnum revolver, 30-30 lever action, 44 lever action.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo318 View Post
Sorry, as i haven't paid much attention to the thread. my phone has been shut off may i email you guys about it? (im going to anyways ) May you walk me through the Mailing phase? a 4 to 6 hour drive isnt exactly what i would see as a simple drive to the local dairy queen haha.
I got your email and will get you a quote shortly after the holiday vacation.

Geb