Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Gunsmithing schools............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Silver Member

Gunsmithing schools............

I did a search for gunsmithing schools, and found that most are online. I do have SEVERAL of the American Gunsmithing Institute's videos---great vids, especially those by Darrel Holland, HOWEVER I want lathe time and REAL-LIFE experience.

Can my friends here supply links to real to life IN PERSON gunsmithing schools?!? THANKS in advance!

And YES, if the school seems good enough, I am willing to move---I'm 38, no kids, and the girlfriend will just have to deal with my passion, or dump me, THAT'S HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS TO ME. So, basically nothing but money to hold me back---but is that just about all of us! ;^)

Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

Re: Gunsmithing schools............

Oh yeah, one more thing. I have had one semester of machine shop while majoring in Industry Technology in college, so I DO have "some" real lathe-time, just not like what I am wanting.

I want to be a Kirby or a Shawn! ;^)
Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

Oops, 3 1/2 total years in college, never to find my calling. Anytime that someone has gunsmithing work at my current employer that does not require a mill or lathe, comes straight to me.....I have a small, but very good rep.

THANKS!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Ran across this the other day, it is for short term courses, but gives you 4 places to call and ask questions.

Dave

NRA Gunsmithing Schools
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Spend a month in Trinidad, they have great instructors. I think Speedy has been upgrading the equipment so that should be helping a bit. As of 3 years ago they could really use some newer lathes.

You can stay in the dorms and live pretty cheap while your there. Bring lots of guns to work on and shoot. NRA Whiting center is less than an hour away.
The summer nra classes will get your feet wet and help you make the jump if you so choose.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
Ran across this the other day, it is for short term courses, but gives you 4 places to call and ask questions.

Dave

NRA Gunsmithing Schools
I looked at that link, but thanks for posting it again. I'm trying to decide whether to get my "General" Machining Certificate, and THEN attend a few NRA classes?!? Any opinions Mr. See?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Spend a month in Trinidad, they have great instructors. I think Speedy has been upgrading the equipment so that should be helping a bit. As of 3 years ago they could really use some newer lathes.

You can stay in the dorms and live pretty cheap while your there. Bring lots of guns to work on and shoot. NRA Whiting center is less than an hour away.
The summer nra classes will get your feet wet and help you make the jump if you so choose.
I wish Trinidad was closer. :^O I was looking at the one in Norf Karoliner.