Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

gunsmithing-rem.700 -270wsm jams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

So extraction is good, ejection is the problem.

I agree with JJ and JE, I would also check the ejector button, make sure it moves freely and the spring is strong. I have seen one savage and one remington that came with broken or very weak springs on new out of the box.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

I have a SPS in 270WSM also and it feeds like crap, pops it out, not a smooth feeding. As far as the ejecting issue mine seems to be doing ok but I have only put 20 rounds through it and after those 20 rds I had to send it to Rem twice because it was short chambered.......if I had to do it again I would buy a WSM action and build a custom rifle with a different feeding system....maybe a Wyatts.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

The Wyatt's extended mag box isin't that hard to install even without a mill , have seen a couple that were done with just a dremal tool and files and come out ok worked well also , for the money their are a great upgrade. They also make a standard size mag box that comes with the flat follower thats desgined for better feeding from the center of the mag. What happens alot of the time even with non WSM's is that the shel is only beig held in the mag by one of the feed lips and once it gets glose and looses enough pressure the round "jump" loose from one side and pops out , having both of the lips on the mag box holding the round helps it slide out strait and most of the time if its fitted right the nose of the bullet is secured and keeps the round at home when it comes free.

I also have an issue with the way that Remington sets their barrels up for the bolt nose but that is part of their "3 rings of steel" crap and it makes for poor feeding with alot of rounds especialy the ones with steep shoulders. It s very easy fix if you have a lathe and a way to get the barrel off.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

I've got 270 WSM Rem. 700 and it fed like crap too. I installed a Wyatt's center feed box and it cured the feeding problem. The only complaint now is that it is hard to load down through the ejection port. Most of the time I open the floor plate and load through the bottem. As far as case sticking in the bolt I believe JE and James are right. If you are using Winchester brass you can probably fix the problem by switching to Remington brass. The Remington brass used to run about .005" smaller diameter across the rim than the Winchester brass but I haven't checked any lately. If this is a custom shop rifle I would make them bevel the bolt rim so that I could shoot any brass.
David
Old 02-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Gold Member

My advice with any "wissem" type cartridge is to go to the Wyatt center feed style magazine box.

Problem solved.