Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Gunsmith Schools, which ones are good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Re: Gunsmith Schools, which ones are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockandawe1980 View Post
Hello all,

I'm a semi-stay at home dad, that works two other jobs as well as watching my 3yr-old. I have recently become infected with firearms as a hobby. I'd like to see if I can turn it into a business.
I have been looking a gunsmith schools, and I can't seem to find real info on the good vs. the bad. An online course works very well for me as I work odd hours. But are these course's worth it? Can I actually become a gunsmith and make a living with it? Which one's should I avoid? Many sound too good to be true.

Example, PSU (phoenix state) claims to train you in 6 weeks to a master level with your choice of secondary like reloading, and get you a state and local license with an FFL for $250.

Others charge alittle more, some much, much more. (4k+)

Then there are community colleges with aren't in my area, so that would be a huge problem, housing, tuition etc.. I don't mind work hard for it, I just don't want to work in vain.
Any info would be beyond helpful! Thanks in advance!
I currently have the privilege to have a gunsmith as a mentor while I am learning as much as possible regarding gunsmith skills. I am a novice /wanna be gunsmith.

As I see it, it is not so simple to follow this road via internet school , to become a gunsmith, you need to be multi-skilled, you need to have skills and knowledge about milling machines, drilling machines, tig/mig/gas welding skills, hand-equipment /machine equipment skills/knowledge, design and artistic skills, a lot more other type of skills to enable you to solve problems, re-loading knowledge and you need to know the law regarding fire-arms and the use of fire-arms.

As you can see it is a very broad spectrum you need to cover, I do not think it is possible for a school to cover all this in six weeks period. Go to the nearest gunsmith in your area and ask him to assist you, that maybe the surest way to become a gunsmith.

I have a link you can take a look at where I am busy building/restoring a .375 H&H Magnum, there are already a few skills you need to acquire, it is not impossible, but start at the right place and you will enjoy every moment.

http://http://www.gunsite.co.za/foru...ilding-project
Old 05-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: Gunsmith Schools, which ones are good?

There is a school in Northern Arizona Near Payson I think

Yavapai College : Gunsmithing Program

I have had a guy attending there do work and it was awesome. He spent some time moonlighting at Schneider barrels lapping barrels. IMO take a Machining course first then go to GS school. When I finish my BS in Network Admin I am taking a weekend machining course. I will start by making form 1 suppressors for myself, threading my own barrels, building AR's and 1911 ETC maybe go to an armorers course or two here and there. I figure after 15-20 years Ill get sick of fixing servers and have amassed enough equipment to get started gunsmiths. Only problem is there are no smith close to me whom I trust to apprentice under.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V