Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Gunsmith Schools, which ones are good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 AM

Gunsmith Schools, which ones are good?

Hello all,

I'm a semi-stay at home dad, that works two other jobs as well as watching my 3yr-old. I have recently become infected with firearms as a hobby. I'd like to see if I can turn it into a business.
I have been looking a gunsmith schools, and I can't seem to find real info on the good vs. the bad. An online course works very well for me as I work odd hours. But are these course's worth it? Can I actually become a gunsmith and make a living with it? Which one's should I avoid? Many sound too good to be true.

Example, PSU (phoenix state) claims to train you in 6 weeks to a master level with your choice of secondary like reloading, and get you a state and local license with an FFL for $250.

Others charge alittle more, some much, much more. (4k+)

Then there are community colleges with aren't in my area, so that would be a huge problem, housing, tuition etc.. I don't mind work hard for it, I just don't want to work in vain.
Any info would be beyond helpful! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Gold Member

Re: Gunsmith Schools, which ones are good?

Trinidad Colorado has one of the best programs in the country.

Good luck. Be ready to starve for awhile!

Cheers,

Chad
Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

6 weeks is not enough to become a blacksmith.

Trinidad is the Gold Standard with a new 3 year Program that does what no other has done for the 3rd year.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

Jesse,

Glad to see you posted the question. I think this is the best place to get good advice on anything shooting related!

Bill
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Gunsmithing is such a "hands on" field that I seriously doubt that an on-line course can do it justice, much less a 6 week course. There is so much to learn from actually seeing and doing, plus interacting with other people that have experience in the field.

I've worked with Mechanical Engineers that have all the paperwork on the wall, but can't figure out why a 2 way locking nut isn't a good idea on a 5/16-18 x 1 1/2" rib neck bolt that's going thru .100" 5052 H32 aluminum, or why it's not a good idea to put a 2 way locking zinc plated nut on a 1/4-20 x 2" stainless phillips pan head screw when you're trying to bolt two pieces of .125" aluminum together.

What do you mean you can't get it tight? WHAT?? What'dya mean you can't get it loose now? Which one is it, can't get it tight or can't get it loose? WHAT? What'dya mean it won't tighten up and you can't get it loose??? Well, how did you strip it out??? What'dya mean it's the wrong nut? You used the one that I called out, didn't you?

Hands on experience is worth twice as much as book smarts.....
Old 09-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

I think it would be hard to learn how to run a lathe on a computer. I have been in 2 trades and business in my life. It takes years to master a trade and then feel comforable to charge for a service. I was in the auto body business for 12 years then decided i wanted to learn excavating and landscaping. I did eventually but it took a lot of time and money and you dont have the time to hear my story. The gunsmiths you read about on this site are master craftmans. I would say it took them many years to get where there at like any other trade. These guys work in .0001 th. that is serious stuff.
Mike
Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

At some point my current career will finally be taken off life support and with the kids grown I have been planning to go to gunsmithing school. I plan on doing something I really enjoy to augment whatever lower pay mundane work I get since I have turned the corner agewise and am likely on the downhill slide as far as salaried positions. It is cheaper to pay a couple young graduates than an older guy etc...So I am getting used to the idea of laying tile in my own business or working at home depot until I get a smith business going. I have been doing some research and the colorado school has been referred to me by other gunsmiths/friends but the quality of instruction is cyclical and based on the instructor. I found this one in Pittsburgh which seems good as well. Any of the Smiths on this site have any opinion of it? Pennsylvania Gunsmith School: Pittsburgh PA
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.